B&S 5.5 testing for spark

mvronDecember 31, 2012

I have acquired a Craftsman B&S 5.5 silver series 158CC SN 0908195445371 mower. I think it has been sitting out in the rain for a while. I would never do this myself. It won't start or even spark. I have run carb cleaner, fresh gas, starter fluid through the engine and nothing happens. I don't have a spark testing tool. Ideas on how best to check for spark before I go through the carb. Thanks much for any ideas. Seems like I'm getting a lot of water through the muffler when I try to start the engine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

You can ground the body of the spark plug against metal- clean a small area of corrosion away if need be to get a good ground. Have an assistant pull the rope and look for spark at the electrode. Be mindful that you don't want to be shooting gas, start fluid or anything else out of the spark plug hole as you do this as fire can result. There is also a potential for a stuck valve. I'm sure the air filter is saturated, fuel in the carb itself is old or contains water. Proper engine #s are stamped on the engine, exhaust shield, shroud or valve cover. Example 12T808- 1234-B1 / model and type.

Bookmark   December 31, 2012 at 3:34PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Also, a lot of times, i have found the air filter completely clogged with grass, dirt, oil, and slime. A new filter cures a lot of problems! And, brings a nice reward of $30 or so!

Bookmark   January 1, 2013 at 2:36PM
mvron

Rustyj14:
You're right. that's the first thing I do - pull the air filter - you're also right - clogged with grass, dirt, oil, and slime. All of the above. Haven't had a chance to try the spark test yet.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 1:37PM
nod702(z7Tenn.)

For what it's worth, i bought two battery charger type clips and attached them to a fourteen inch piece of 10 gage wire. I remove the spark plug, put the wire back on the plug, put one end of the clip on the spark plug body and clip the other end to a good ground. Pull the starter rope,or crank the engine over if so equipped. That's the way i test for spark. Lot easier than trying to hold the plug against a ground source.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 6:50PM
mvron

I found my spark tester. Hooked it to the plug and cracked it over - no light in the tester. The compression seems good. I need to check the plug first. Need to cross reference the "Max Power 4052" that's in the motor to something like NGK/Champion or something I can find. I took the shroud off. If the plug is good/new, what should I look at next? thanks again for ideas.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 12:32PM
mvron

Looks like the champion J17LM should work.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 12:44PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Use the J19LM, it's the most common. Pull off the shroud and remove the ground wire from the coil. Then test for spark. If the flywheel and coil are very rusty, clean off the rust and gap the coil from the flywheel at .012

If you don't have spark then, the coil is bad. It's uncommon, but possible.

Bookmark   January 5, 2013 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
airens 1534 mini zoom no crank
I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump...
baldo6878
Troy Bilt Snow Blower
I have a Troy-Bilk 21", 4 cycle, 123cc ohv engine....
redrabbit
Tom Boy Lawnmowers????
Has anyone seen or heard of Tom-Boy push lawn mowers????...
bekellog
Troy Built Super Bronco dies when PTO engaged
I was mowing for someone and hit an old TV cable wire...
jmunson92
Craftsman 6.6 Eager 1 917.377321 won't stary running
The only way I can keep this mower running is to take...
fresno99
Sponsored Products
Cameo Collection 23 1/2" Wide Polished Nickel Ceiling Light
Euro Style Lighting
Blue Ceramic Candleholder
$27.99 | zulily
Chastain Tobacco Two Light Sconce with Shades
$109.00 | Bellacor
47 Inch Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Hand-knotted Black Hyder Semi-worsted New Zealand Wool Rug (5'6 x 8'6)
Overstock.com
Fabric Cylinders Pendant
Lightology
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. 1-Light Vintage Bronze Steel Exterior Wall Lanter
$75.44 | Home Depot
Fresca Allier 48 Wenge Brown Modern Bathroom Vanity w/ Mirror
Hudson Reed
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™