Is there something else that I can use as seat in a Tec.carb?

andyma_gwDecember 1, 2011

A few weeks ago I was talking about rebuilding the carb to an HM100. Carb parts cost me $38. This carb just needs the viton seat. I called my parts guy and he want 18$ for the entire kit. A bowl gasket , some welch plugs, a new main jet . and a needle and seat. Somebody mentioned that a B+S seat worked better and provided a p/n . Silly me, I should have written it down. So now I'm relying upon the kindness of strangers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andyma_gw

I found the post with the B+S p/n once I started looking. And you know what? I can buy it closer and from a better outfit than the pirate. Thank you Tom Plum

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 6:21PM
tomplum

Here's where that came from. Sorry it's a bit long. For a while Tec N&S kits (631021b) were difficult to get from some Tecumseh distributors. The replacement at the time was the OEP kit, which had some issues w/ the seat. In fact, OEP recalled a bunch. What worked on the standard WPM engines was the seat from the Briggs 398188 (IE Quantum N&S kit). The ID of the seat is close, but smaller than the standard Tec, required a small float adjustment that you'd do anyways. Would smaller affect a 10 HP, I dunno. Briggs color codes their seats. The Quantum style is reddish brown, the 394681(IE the old OP twin style) is green with a slightly larger hole than the Tec kit. I don't know how well how well either would work on the medium frame Tecumseh. So if you have that old fruit jar filled w/ misc carb odds and ends, you may have one! This is assuming that your carb takes the standard Tec N&S kits and you don't have the old Walbro on your hands. An FYI a lot of the common carbs you see like on CV Kohler, Walbro on Briggs use similar bowl gaskets /seals too. Some Kawasaki's- (like in a Deere X300) use a bowl seal and float valve same as a Walbro /Briggs spec. Stens also has OEM Tec N&S kits (Stens # 056-154)if you are having difficulty sourcing them and you want to PU a handful.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 6:59PM
andyma_gw

Thank you for the Stens p/n, Tomplum. Prolly makes no difference but this carb is a Tecumseh on an HM70 snow thrower. Ive got 3-4 old flat head Tecumsehs , so a few extras would be great to have.

Bookmark   December 1, 2011 at 10:31PM
andyma_gw

I called the guy closest to me. I gave him the B+S p/n :398188. 4.80 $ out the door. I put evrything together and after a prime, it fired off without drama. Once again, this was in a Tecumseh HM 70. I ran the engine for 5 minutes. So .yes, there is something you can use. Thankyou for your help. Tomplum

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 10:28PM
tomplum

Cool beans. Glad it worked out for you!

Bookmark   December 4, 2011 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
airens 1534 mini zoom no crank
I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump...
baldo6878
MTD mower runing rough
My MTD mower is running rough. It is hard to start...
latunda
Toro Zero turn
Having trouble with Toro Time cutter ZT4200,Koehler...
Amy Bebensee
Sears 6.75 B&S 21" push mower
My 6.75 B&S engine is surging all the time I'm...
gramontj
Craftsman 6.6 Eager 1 917.377321 won't stary running
The only way I can keep this mower running is to take...
fresno99
Sponsored Products
Eros Chair with Castors by Kartell
$720.00 | Lumens
Meditub 32x38 Left Drain White Whirlpool & Air Jetted Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
Contemporary Square Shaped Acrylic Wall Sconce
ParrotUncle
LED Angel Eye Headlight Accent Lights - COB
Super Bright LEDs
Veneto Luce Argyle Matte Black Wall Sconce
$290.00 | Bellacor