Stir-fry seasoning

meldy_nva(z6b VA)May 15, 2013

I like stir-fried vegs, even with meat added. For years, I've tried one recipe after another, hunting for the just-right taste for a sauce that would go taste good no matter which vegs ended up in the pan. I found a few good recipes, but none were quite what I wanted. Then a few months ago, I found "Simply Asia", a pre-mixed selection of spices designed just for stir-frying. *This* was the elusive blend of flavors I had been looking for! Reading the ingredient list shows nothing unusual, just the right blend of the right seasonings.

DH also likes it, so I now serve stir-fry about twice a week, with a resulting dip in the grocery bill. I just bought the vegs - that will make at least 8 servings. Including a large Korean cabbage (not as much bite as standard), a small bag of baby bok choy, a large carrot, a garlic bulb, onion, and some celery, the grocery bill came to $4.16. Oh, that included 3 lbs bananas and 2 apples. I guess $3 covers the vegs. The spice mix costs about 8cents a meal - the large jar was expensive, but it makes a lot of meals (I still have about 3/4 jar left). I use clear-jel instead of standard cornstarch for thickening, so leftovers reheat nicely, just a quick zap in the microwave.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mawheel

The ingredients for your stir-fries sound delicious, also healthy. Isn't it great when something tastes good and is also good for you?

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 5:54PM
gandle(4 NE)

We will try to find it. Sounds great.

Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 8:53PM
rob333

Is simply asia the name of the spice blend, or the brand? The brand Simply Asia has spice blends on their website, but then are further broken down into Kung Pao, etc. But then, their spice is in packets not jars.

I'm curious because I'd like to acquire it or replicate it? Something like that. I love an Asian sauce on zucchini then grilling it. This sounds like it'd be perfect for what I want.

:)

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 1:18PM
west_gardener

I found a Simply Asia, ginger teriyaki, stir-fry sauce in our local grocery store. It was in a pouch, ready to use. I fixed some basmati rice, bought a bag of frozen stir fry veggies, defrosted some shrimp and made a fab stir fry meal.
The sauce is excellent. The bonus is that even DH likes it.
Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
And just because it is Dr. Seuss Day
The more you read, The more you know. The more you...
anneliese32
Quotes 3 - 2 - 15
I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the...
don_socal
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™