Jasper, Alberta in May (Very Picture heavy!) Part 2

gardenbug(Canada zone 5)May 17, 2009

The Maligne Canyon and beyond....

A frozen waterfall:

Pink ribbon day:

We take a leisurely drive back to Edmonton...

These fellows found us most interesting and came closer and closer. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chelone

There's the pink ribbon! :)

Amazing what water, ice, and rock on rock erosion can create for us, isn't it? I'm always amazed by the beauty such a slow and relentless process leaves behind. I always think of Japanese gardens when I see the craggy edges, junipers, and roots coursing expanses of bare rock to find their way to soil.

I like the curious posse, too. The horse on the left in the last shot has dun coloration. It's one of the most ancient coat patterns on horses and frequently you can see traces of stripes on the legs if you look closely. It's seen more in ponies nowadays and usually in the breeds that are most ancient and haven't been bred to death to "improve" type. Doesn't he present a handsome picture of monochromatic beauty? did you get to pat them?

The decaying barn made me sort of sad, though. I always think of how hard someone worked to build it and how proud they must've been when it was completed... what would they think now?

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 6:53AM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

What an extraordinary place Marie, and you are so slim!!!! you look fabu-fabu! Thanks for sharing these lovely photos.

Deanne

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 7:06AM
gardeningmary

I get vertigo just looking at those pictures of the canyon but well appreciate the beauty and love the wildlife and horses. What a happy trip it must have been with the wonderful news you received, perfectly reflected in your smiling faces. I was thinking what a nice chicken coop the barn would make with just a little bit of fixing up.....

Mary

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 7:48AM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

Great pictures! I only passed through Jasper once; what I most remember is the traffic being stopped several times on the Jasper-Banff highway by flocks of those sheep wandering out on the road. I didn't get to see any of the spectacular eroded rock formations that you posted there - or the horses in the fields. I would have enjoyed those, so thank you for the pictures!

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 11:49AM
dodgerdudette

Beautiful shots Marie, theres nothing quite like the high country places of our continent is there? The horses are wonderful ! Thanks for taking the time to post these ..

Kathy in Napa

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 8:36PM
triple_creek(z5)

Bug thanks so much for sharing these. I love the ruggedness of the rocks and mountains. Enjoyed the horses to of course. It looks really cold there though. Norma

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 10:00PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Another great group of photos. DD and I were very interested in the horses. I imagine that was on someone's property. I love their colors. The seventh photo from the bottom, caught my eye, such pretty lines in that mountainside. Enjoyed the trip! :-)

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 9:18AM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

I enjoyed all these pics ,too. The Magic Canyon, the Big Horns,the mountains,the lake, the duck, the Raven, the old barn, the horses....and ...oh yes, that pleasant looking couple! :-)

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 1:41PM
veronicastrum(z5 IL)

I'll have to add the Magic Canyon to my list of places to visit - looks wonderful.

Thanks for sharing!

V.

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 9:25PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Maligne canyon....is pretty 'magical' though. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Parks Canada

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 10:48PM
michelle_zone4

Wow, what incredible scenery and you have captured it beautifully. You saw so many interesting but different things. Thanks

Michelle

Bookmark   May 18, 2009 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Persicarias
Are there any you like or don't like and why? As always,...
catkinZ8a
A walk in the park
A few pictures from my local park this morning.
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
I love wood Anemones...
Or Anemone nemorosa. They are just starting to poke...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Bought Colocasia esculenta tubers... now what?
I bought today a pack of 4 Colocasia esculenta tubers. They...
green_go
Sponsored Products
Jasper Chair
FRONTGATE
Jasper 2-door Wall Cabinet
Overstock.com
Jasper Coal Patina Wall Light
$146.00 | Bellacor
Jasper Three-Drawer Chest - IVORY
$1,599.00 | Horchow
Jasper Bronze Globes Glass Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus