Please help......

breezienjJanuary 7, 2008

I know this is going to sound very ignorant but I am freaking out...... I have a pond with goldfish (4-5 inches) and 2 large planium Koi (16-18") They have gone through 3 winters already. THis has been a very mild winter until this week. It went from 40-50 degree to 10 over night and our pond froze over. (we have a heater so I wasn't worried) now that it's warm again the ice melted and the two large koi's are floating on their sides right in the middle of the pond....not on top of the water and not all the way down. At first I thought they were hibernating but now I am thinking they are dead! I am so heart broken we got these beautiful fish when they were only 4". What do you think??? The reason I thought they were hibernating is because I had read an article saying if you feed the fish to late in the winter they will lay sideways toward the surface trying to have the sun help digest the food I stupidly fed them. Any guesses? Ughghhh....thanks for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
horton(6 b Ontario.)

breezeinji, I have transferred your post over to the pond "Discussions" page, where it should receive more attention. I re-titled it "Fish lying on sides?"
This page is just used for general conversations, about nothing in particular, just like the Seinfeld TV show!
"Horton"

Bookmark   January 7, 2008 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
Tropical marginals dormancy
Two months ago I planted an Umbrella Palm and a Papyrus...
thepondfather
Container water gardening step X step
Here's a weekend project for anyone that wants to add...
thepondfather
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™