Six birdie eggs......gone.

west_gardenerMay 17, 2013

A couple of house wrens built a nest in a tree that grows under our overhang. Three days ago there were six eggs in the nest, today all the eggs are gone.
We've seen bluejays and crows scouting out the nest, so I suspect one of them got to the eggs.
The house wrens are still coming to the nest, but I don't know why.
We, DH and I feel sad for the parents.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Tat is so sad, the female may lay another clutch of eggs and try again.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 8:01PM
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

Is there anyway you can put a birdhouse up for them with the proper opening for a house wren? There are plenty of types that you can hang in the tree itself. They have a very small opening so that no predators can get inside. Here's a google page with plenty of houses and even plans for houses if your husband is inclined to build one.

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=birdhouses+for+a+house+w&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGNI_enUS508US508&q=birdhouse+for+house+wren+&gs_l=hp..0.0i22i30.0.0.0.8399...........0.Wtgxb5bhLog

By the way I have a nest full of baby house wrens up under the eave of my porch. Fortunately, the porch is partially enclosed so no predators would risk coming inside. The parents go in and out all day to feed them. It so nice to hear them peeping away at feeding time. So cute.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 10:57PM
west_gardener

Thanks for the suggestion about the bird house. I had not thought about that. The birdies have stopped coming around, so I figure that I have a few months to prepare for next spring.

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 7:14PM
lovetogarden(z4 NY)

I remembered something that happened years ago. My mother kept hearing birdies in her closed patio and couldn't figure out where the birds were. On a closer inspection outside her house she saw that the there was a small hole in her soffit where a bird had made her nest and had her chicks. My mother, smart woman that she was, went to the lumber yard and tooks scrap wood flooring, asked the guy to cut them into 1' lenghts, put a piece of scrap wood at each end and bore a small hole in the side. The birdhouse was shaped like a rectange (I believe my mother used a 1" round boring bit though you should check out what the proper size should be since I forgot exactly what she used.) After the birds flew the coop in the fall and before the birds came back in spring, she hung the homemade housewren box right under the repaired eave. That first spring the birds took up residence in the box and they did every year until her death a few years ago. The new owners asked us what that was all about and when I told them they thought it was a good idea too so I don't think we have to worry about the birdies losing their home. LOL.

Bookmark   May 29, 2013 at 2:59AM
More Discussions
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
For poetry fans
I investigate A.Word.A.Day, on wordsmith.org, every...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 3 - 14 - 15
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they...
don_socal
When is Spring?
A count down to spring.http://days.to/spring/2015
west_gardener2
Quotes 3 - 24 - 15
Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Stowe Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Stowe Leather Chair - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Evergreen Enterprises Dog Collar Pet Memorial Stone - EG84262
$25.99 | Hayneedle
White Bailey Cow Baby Bottle Cover
$13.99 | zulily
Timeless Tradition Glamour Mirror - 24W x 35H in. - TT-119-WT
$315.00 | Hayneedle