Mystery Ornamental Grass

ladybrowncoatMay 26, 2014

So I'm searching for a nice ornamental grass to use as a border on one side of our yard, and I keep seeing this post on Pinterest. I really like the look- it's massive and green and has a uniform shape- but I can't figure out what the heck it is! If anyone knows, please help :)

I don't have high hopes that it's suitable for zone 7a, since this picture looks lush and wet and I'm thinking it was taken somewhere across the pond. I live in Maryland and have clay soil and full direct sun, and besides pompous grass I am unfamiliar with the growing other types or ornamentals. I do love them, though, particularly their grace (and I appreciate their hardiness!). I want to use them as borders/backdrops in our very large yard. So if anyone is more familiar with these grasses and could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate that as well :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Olychick

I remember pinning this on Pinterest, too and doing an image search looking for the name. The closest I found was Eulalia grass: Miscanthus sinensis âÂÂGracillimusâÂÂ, but there seems to be lots of other Micanthus sinesis that are close. You might start there. Look also at 'Morning Light' on this page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Micanthus sinesis

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 1:44PM
ladybrowncoat

Oh, this is wonderful! Thank you so much :) So another name for it is Maiden Grass (another search word for Pinterest, ha ha!). Seems like it would be very happy in full sun in my zone. Yay! Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 2:33PM
Carrie B(6B/7A)

You may want to check your region's listings of invasive plants before seriously considering Miscanthus - it's an environmental nightmare in my Zone 7 region.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miscanthus invasive

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 7:34PM
ladybrowncoat

Roger that- thanks!

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 10:16AM
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

Second that. I've been seeing plants spread out for a half mile where people have tossed out clippings in Arkansas. That one can grow into ugly colonies that block all of the native stuff out.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 10:55PM
Campanula UK Z8

deschampsia flexuosa 'Tatra Gold' - a small, mannerly, but very pretty bright green alternative to the scary miscanthus.....although I have several clumps of miscanthus sinensis and zebrina which have grown very slo..o...o...wly, not exceeding their welcome anywhere....in Z8 UK.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 6:37AM
More Discussions
What is this ornamental plant?
This is a tree that is growing in my neighbor's home....
frugal_gardening
What did I plant last fall?
These are coming up beautifully, but what are they?...
jankay
This plant is finally going to bloom! What is it ?
Anyone know what it will look like? Thanks folks
lizzieroux
Sponsored Products
Void Pendant - Brass - Tom Dixon
$615.00 | HORNE
Veil Polished Chrome Nine-Light Pendant
$628.00 | Bellacor
Fiam | Magique Side Table
YLiving.com
Foscarini | Gregg Alta Floor Lamp
YLighting
Urban Jet Table Fan