quotes 6 - 14 - 14

don_socalJune 14, 2014

You don't have to be a chef or even a particularly good cook to experience proper kitchen alchemy: the moment when ingredients combine to form something more delectable than the sum of their parts. Fancy ingredients or recipes not required; simple, made-up things are usually even better.
Erin Morgenstern

Medicine rests upon four pillars - philosophy, astronomy, alchemy, and ethics.
Paracelsus

The alchemy of good curating amounts to this: Sometimes, placing one work of art near another makes one plus one equal three. Two artworks arranged alchemically leave each intact, transform both, and create a third thing.
Jerry Saltz

None but a poet can write a tragedy. For tragedy is nothing less than pain transmuted into exaltation by the alchemy of poetry.
Edith Hamilton

In a way, we are magicians. We are alchemists, sorcerers and wizards. We are a very strange bunch. But there is great fun in being a wizard.
Billy Joel

When alchemists were talking about turning lead to gold, they were talking about turning a leaden consciousness, which most of us exist in during our lives, into a golden consciousness, which is a much better place to be.
Alan Moore

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Fine quotes covering the magic in everyday life and then some

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 9:08AM
west_gardener

Great quotes, Don.I agree with the Erin Morgenstern 's quote.
I perform alchemy on a regular basis in cooking (food)
I prepare the wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls, and I know that not much of anything will happen until I combine them. So I put the bowls aside till morning.
I can have pancakes, waffles , etc...ready for cooking first thing in the morning. Nothing fancy,

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 7:41PM
west_gardener

Another alchemy, in the household world. Cleaning drains.
Pour baking soda in a drain, nothing much happens until your pour vinegar into the drain.
The result is dramatic,

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 9:02PM
More Discussions
Butterfly Conservatory in Key West
Lots of photo opportunities at this place. I don't...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
Quotes 2-20-15
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking...
west_gardener2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™