Any ideas what these are?

Louise123456789May 25, 2014

Hi there

I've just moved into a new place and I'm not sure what I should be pulling up and what I should be leaving!!! Just wondering if anyone knows what these are??

Thanks!!

Louise

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lycopus(z5 NY)

Looks like Circaea lutetiana

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:16PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes - aka Enchanters Nightshade. You need to pull them up but be warned there will be a network of white roots below the surface which is difficult to completely get rid of.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:23PM
Louise123456789

Ah thanks!!! Sounds like a lot of weeding as it's spreading!! At least I know what to do with it now though!!

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 1:48PM
bubbleoffplumb(z6 NY)

Circaea may not be for everyone
but in my humble opinion she does have her place.
In my shade, deer and rabbit, black walnut, wildlife/wooland garden, there are spots that i will leave her to do her thing.
Very helpful filling in areas that garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata) would otherwise take over.

as I mentioned, itâÂÂs not for everyone
but I wanted to leave this info here for folks that may find this plant useful in their situation.

from
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/enchanter_ns.htm:

Faunal Associations: The nectar and pollen of the flowers attract small bees, including Halictid bees (Lasioglossum spp.) and little carpenter bees (Ceratina spp.); they are also visited by Syrphid flies and bee flies (Bombyliidae). The caterpillars of a moth, Mompha terminella (Enchanter's Cosmet), are blotch leaf-miners. Birds and mammals help to distribute the seeds, as the small bur-like fruits can cling to feathers and fur; these fruits can cling to the clothing of humans as well. Deer occasionally browse on the foliage of Enchanter's Nightshade.,\

/end soapbox ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Botanical Society - Enchanters Nightshade

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 2:32PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If you have plenty of space and a wild area it is fine. In the average tiny British garden it is a total pain.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
please name this plant
Didn't know this plant.please name it. Thanks in advance...
Tabi77
help id plant please
can anyone id these plants please, they have been coming...
grice38
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™