Can someone ID this grass-like structure?

ctlady_gw(z6 CT)May 7, 2014

We were given some large clumps of this and told it was nicotiana, which I am quite sure it can't possible be (can it?? I've never grown nicotiana but what I find online doesn't even vaguely resemble these leaves) ... but I don't know what it is. It apparently flowers (not sure of the color -- trying to find out) and in its current form (it is early in the growing season here) the leaves are about 6 inches high and have a slightly reddish striation where they emerge from the soil, and are otherwise solid green. It looks like a low ornamental grass to me but apparently it blooms ... I realize I may just have to pot it up and wait to see what it does before I can ID it, but I wondered if anyone out there recognizes it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vmr423(Zone 8b, SC)

Looks like Spiderwort of some sort. Spiderwort is a popular pass-along plant.

Given your location, I'd guess Tradescantia ohiensis or Tradescantia virginiana, but there are other possibilities if it got passed-along from outside its native range...

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 1:47PM
esh_ga

Look at the roots, that sometimes help identify things. Spiderwort, for one, has very unique looking roots.

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 3:00PM
ctlady_gw(z6 CT)

Ah, yes! That's probably what it is... and I wonder if we want it?! I will go out and tease a clump apart to look at the roots (which should be "thick and fleshy"?) but I would say it does look like online photos of spiderwort. Thank you both!

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 7:08PM
ctlady_gw(z6 CT)

Ah, yes! That's probably what it is... and I wonder if we want it?! I will go out and tease a clump apart to look at the roots (which should be "thick and fleshy"?) but I would say it does look like online photos of spiderwort. Thank you both!

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 7:47PM
ctlady_gw(z6 CT)

Deleted duplicate post.

This post was edited by ctlady on Wed, May 7, 14 at 19:57

Bookmark   May 7, 2014 at 7:55PM
vmr423(Zone 8b, SC)

It is adaptable, though whenever I transplant some, it languishes a bit before it starts to look nice. It is a bit untidy in its habit, but reasonably graceful. I do like those blue flowers, and it's a native plant.

Supposedly, hummers like it and definitely bees and butterflies do. A lot of humans like it also- I've made several people happy with some pass-along plants. Maybe you could try growing in a large pot to see how you like it?

Once established in the ground, it can spread, but it's easy to pull up a clump and pass it along.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 3:11AM
More Discussions
help name this rose bush (zone7b norcal)
We have been told it's over 100 years old. It's 12...
outdoorlivin
This plant is finally going to bloom! What is it ?
Anyone know what it will look like? Thanks folks
lizzieroux
Please help: what is this hellish weed? (CA)
I live in the Bay Area, CA. This weed grows kind of...
Polina
Narcissus, or something else??
These plants vaguely look Narcissus, and I thought...
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
Sponsored Products
CS026 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Homelegance Pottery 2 Piece Panel Bedroom Set in White
Beyond Stores
Sterling Acclaim 71090112 60W x 74.25H in. Bathtub Shower Combo with Above Floor
$688.20 | Hayneedle
Black Bowl Shape Crystals Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Freejack Sydney Pendant
Lightology
Americh Bow 6032 Right Handed Tub (60" x 32" x 21")
Modern Bathroom
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™