Have any of your Japanese Painted ferns reverted? (pic)

prairiemoon2 z6 MAMay 15, 2009

I hate when this happens.....

Does anyone know the reason it does? Would you pull out the part that has reverted?

pm2

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Boy, I don't know where my head is lately. I meant to post this to the Discussions side. Just ignore me and maybe my head will revert. [g]

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 11:39AM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Well I was going to say "revert to what?" It looks like 2 separate plants that you could separate. And yes, I would divide them if they were mine and it looked possible once out of the ground. I like both!

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 1:27PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks gardenbug, I will try separating them this weekend.

:-)

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 3:46PM
Jerri_OKC(z7 Ok)

Hi PM. I've had this revert after a few years. I read it may be due to stress (drought, too wet, too much sun, etc.) I found the following on Google:

"Mr. Archer states that the painted fern may revert to the green color of the species as it ages. This is most often due to improper culture: in his and other gardens, the most "colorfast" painted ferns grow in areas with bright indirect light and good drainage but a constant supply of moisture."

I like the green too, I just moved it to another part of the garden where the bright green worked better! :)

Jerri

Here is a link that might be useful: MOUND VUE GARDEN CLUB NEWSLETTER

Bookmark   May 15, 2009 at 7:57PM
jak1(4 Ontario Can)

Had to run outside to look...no, mine still looks like a Japanese Painted Fern. It is in a well drained spot that gets lots of sun in the morning and then is shaded by the house the rest of the day. Doesn't get very much moisture though, just the normal rain and whatever I manage to provide when things are dry...

Julie

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 5:02PM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

I am like you Pm2, and prefer the original, but the second part is pretty also, although it looks a lot like some of my native ferns.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 5:19PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks Jerri for the link and the info on them reverting. Julie, I have a few more of them that look the same from year to year, so far. Yes, marian, I like the original and I like the other too, just not together. Gardenbug, never had a chance to check it out this weekend, but I'm itching to get out there and see if I can separate them. I'll check back when I see what's what.

Thank you all :-)

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 6:44PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I noticed this afternoon that one of mine has done the same thing....

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 6:50PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

How strange. I've never had this happen. I guess it does though! Now with hostas, I've certainly had this problem.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 8:41PM
More Discussions
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™