A long cruise - Rome, Italy - part 1

jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)June 26, 2014

This is the half way point in our 42-day cruise. Some folks took only this half, with the intent of spending lots of time in Italy. Others just took the return to Ft. Lauderdale. As I recall, the turnover was less than 40 passengers.

Cruise ships dock in the town of Civitavecchia, as Rome in not on the water. It takes a bit more than one hour to get into the city, either by auto or bus or train. For those who had been there previously, the train was their first choice.

We had agreed to tour with Jack, one of our Cruise Critic friends, but he cancelled as he was not feeling well (he ended up in the hospital in Sicily for several days and did not get back on the ship). We were on our own. With four others, we hired a taxi. He was not a licensed tour guide, just a taxi driver, thus our cost was low. However, he did not have a good working knowledge of all the whens and whys and such.

I was really bummed, first because of Jack's cancellation and the second because it was raining!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

First stop was St. Peter's. It was not practical for our driver to get us close, he dropped us off about 5 blocks away and we walked. There were thousands of tourists there and it was rainy.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:04AM

This was a bit closer. The lines to get in were long and we had only 45 minutes to be there.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:07AM

I did see this interesting building. Even with much research, I cannot determine what is at the top of the stairs - it might be a nunnery. I have figured out the address: Borgo Sonto Spirito 21.

And, of course, a souvenir shop was right there.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:10AM

As in most of the cities where we visited, they have Hop-On, Hop-Off bus transportation. This photo was taken at St. Peter's Square.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:13AM

As I stood in the door of a shop (while the missus was spending money), I noted these policia. One has his sash going one way and the other is different. Different colors, too. Very crisp looking.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:16AM

Since we did not have a tour guide, many things that we saw were not as meaningful. This obelisk in the middle of St. Peter's Square represents something, but I don't know what.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:19AM

Back in the taxi, we moved on to our next stop. Traffic was horrible as there was some sort of demonstration going on and many streets were blocked.

I did see this as we moved along in the rain.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:21AM

The shop clerk was waiting for customers as she tried to keep dry.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:23AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Butterfly Conservatory in Key West
Lots of photo opportunities at this place. I don't...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™