Those are weird

gandle(4 NE)June 22, 2013

Heat bursts. Yesterday the temperature went from 60 degrees to 94 in 3 minutes. The National Weather Burea in North Platte confirmed that those happened in a large section of this part of the state. We had one several years ago and I had never experienced them before. The weather burea went on in todays paper to explain what conditions are necessary for that to happen but the explanation was way over my head.

They are quite a sensation, you can feel a change in pressure and there is a terrific gust of wind. The humidity dropped at that time from 60% to under 20%.

The cat seemed to sense that someting strange was going to happen. She went under my workbench and stayed there while thjis was happening.

Would rather not do that again.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

That is pretty extreme, George. I have experienced sudden rise in temperature, and sudden drops also, but not that extreme, strong enough I could watch the thermometer go up (or down) real fast, freaky

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:33AM
gmatx_gw zone 6

Whoa - don't blame the cat at all for staying under your bench. We have major temperature drops when a cold front comes through, but it's more like 30-40 degrees over a several hour period. I don't know that I would be able to get out of my sweatshirt and coat in 3 minutes - I'd just have to cook, I guess.....

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 11:38AM
anneliese_32(6)

Wow - I think I would have kept the cat company. Over the course of a couple of hours we had some sharp drops or rise but not to that extent in such a short time. Would have been interesting though.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 12:53PM
west_gardener

Wow, that is some change in a short time. Never heard of that before.
Smart cat.

Bookmark   June 22, 2013 at 6:22PM
More Discussions
Photos from my recent cruise.
Coral World in St. Thomas. My first time there was...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 18 - 15
Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness,...
don_socal
Remembering Mitzi
My step-mother had a sister named Lyle. A real free...
gandle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™