low growing deciduous vine or shrub, alternate leaves

BabblegailMay 10, 2014

This volunteer came up my garden last year, in Maryland, in the shade under a maple. This is a current picture. It's got no interest in growing upright, no central trunk, just arching woody bits, but isn't trying to climb or strangle anything either, so I'm going with 'shrub'. No flowers the first year, so no additional ID information.

What is it? Is it native (otherwise it's getting dug out)? Any help appreciated, thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

It looks like some type of nightshade, Solanum spp.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 4:23PM
Babblegail

Thank you. I'll see if flowering confirms that, but it sounds like a good lead. Not native but not considered invasive around here. I'll probably yank it for something native though, because it sounds like it will spread out too much for the neighboring plants.

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 5:23PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i thought DEADLY nightshade also ...

whether its native or not.. it is poisonous .. and has pretty little berries that can attract kids ... not a good equation if you have such around ...

the birds sow billions of them for me every year .. i simply dont see an upside to them ...

thank God you arent one of those .. i want to eat all the weeds in my yard peeps.. and asked first ...

ken

Bookmark   May 10, 2014 at 8:27PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Now, now, Ken, every year we have to have the DEADLY nightshade lecture. This one is Bittersweet or Woody Nightshade, Solanum dulcamara, not Deadly Nightshade. Deadly nightshade, just for confusion, is not even a Solanum but is Atropa beladonna. Now remember this carefully. Don't want to have to repeat the lesson next year.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
Please ID this plant
I think it came in an indoor pot of plants. It is...
elaineal
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
Name of festuca please
I'm looking for a green festuca that would grow in...
plquality
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™