Somehow, just doesn't seem appropriate

gandle(4 NE)June 18, 2010

Turned on TV last night to watch the playoff with the Celtics and the Lakers. Got a bunch of advertising before the game started. One was a jingle with a very catchy happy little tune that began----R--- and S------- funeral Home and Cermations and then went on for about 6 lines of jungle and ended with the line---We make it easy for you. Somehow seems to be in poor taste or maybe I'm being old fashioned but a happy, catchy jingle just doesn't seem like the right advertising for a funeral home and crematory

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

I remember a local funeral home doing much the same thing, quite a lot of years ago. Read later that their business fell off about 30%, and the downturn was blamed on the ad -- families who had dealt with the firm for many years said just what you did: a happy jingle was *not* appropriate. I'm in agreement, chirpy cheerfulness just doesn't seem respectful for a place providing solemn occasions.

OTOH, I heartily approve of wakes after the remains have been placed, and hope that my wake will be a scene of much cheerfulness and chuckles.

Bookmark   June 18, 2010 at 4:56PM
anneliese_32(6)

Some professions should not advertise on TV at all, funeral homes amongst them. In a nearby city one funeral home had such heartfelt, sincere advertising. Too bad that they were closed down for fraud and abandonment of human remains.

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 1:39PM
mawheel

I agree that funeral homes should not have catchy, upbeat ads; a death is certainly not a time when most people are feeling happy.

Another ad I've been seeing recently shows a roach crawling around a box of cereal. It turns me off to the point where I would never use the product advertised. (I think it's for a car insurance company; I haven't watched long enough to get the connection!)

Bookmark   June 19, 2010 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 27 - 15
We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 25 - 15
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out. Alfred Hitchcock Conflict...
don_socal
Weather, it's still winter
and we are having a heat wave , temps from 70-80 degrees;...
west_gardener2
Quotes 3 - 22 - 15
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 15 - 15
Try to make at least one person happy every day. If...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Convenience Concepts Designs2Go 5-Tier Media Tower - 70323
$69.00 | Hayneedle
Floral Chinoiserie Lamp
$1,100.00 | Horchow
Yuree Dual Ceiling Fan by Kichler
$598.00 | Lumens
Berkshire Hoosic Terra-Cotta and Corn Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$154.00 | Bellacor
Propeller Lamp
| Dot & Bo
Surface Mount Tiles: Shanko Building Materials 510 2 ft. x 4 ft. Chrome-Plated
$79.93 | Home Depot
Luli Sanchez LSF20 Dark Ivory and Navy Rectangular: 2 Ft. x 3 Ft. Rug
$74.52 | Bellacor
Large Wreathed Reindeer Statue
$39.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™