That made me go to the library

gandle(4 NE)June 24, 2011

Visitors yesterday at the museun from France and one of the stops they said they had to make was in Red Cloud NE. Willa Cather's home and site of the Cather museum. They said she was fluent in French and often wrote in that language. I had no idea, anyway, I've been neglecting my favorite author so went to the library this morning and checked out The Professor's House and Song of the Lark. Sure, I've read rhem before but I know of no other author who can so vividly describe a background or a scene. Don't ask which of her books is my favorite, that would be like telling which of my children is my favorite

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gabriell_gw

I've never read Willa Cather. Maybe I will pick up one of her works.

Bookmark   June 24, 2011 at 9:11PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

One of my faves....My Antonia...being a fave from a fave author....Oh and the Arch Bishop...poor man!
Think I need to see what of her's I need to read, I am sure there are a few I have missed...Among them The Professor's House
Linda C

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 12:35AM
anneliese_32(6)

Willa Carter is is on my re-read list. It's been too long since I read her first.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 5:31AM
mwoods

Cather has always been one of my favorite authors and her books remind me of Wyeth paintings or rather vice versa.I've never read The Professor's House and am adding it to my list.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 9:52AM
cedar_wa(z8)

I had read most of her books beginning at about 12 years old. And they were reread often. I was working in the Gallup NM area for several months. I read Death Comes to the Archbishop for the first time. The descriptions were so three dimensional and every sensory experience was accurate.
I will pick up one of her books when I go to the libray today.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 2:29PM
west_gardener

Lol, gandle, your post made me go to the library...
From France, to Nebraska to the Silicon Valley information is being shared. I checked out The Professor's House and My Antonia.

Bookmark   June 25, 2011 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™