A weed and a Bloom

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, FMay 20, 2013

Since I know that those of you who frequent this forum crave identifying uncountable plants for little more than a joy of saying "I know what it is!" and with little more than a 'Thank you' as compensation for your time and knowledge, I have come to you folks with two plants that I would love to get names for.

The first is a 'weed' that came up in... well... the right place. While I did not plant this, it came up in just the right spot to kind of anchor this bed of salvia and herbs. Looking at the stems and they way they 'sucker' as well as the hairy nature of the stems, I get the feeling this is somehow related to tomatoes. But about 2 miles from me there is a huge patch of this stuff growing on the side of the road and I have seen it growing in one other yard in my neighborhood. So I don't think it really IS a tomato, just related to them.

This second appears to be a vine of some sort, but could be just a leggy shrub. I couldn't really get a good angle on the foliage as it got mixed up with some other plants in this 'bed' (Which is little more than an twelve inch wide sliver of dirt between the skirting and the driveway. Not my house either). But the bloom is so eye-catching and unique that hopefully it alone can be enough for someone.

And just for the record, I really do appreciate the fact that you folk are willing to share your knowledge with people you don't know. Among other things, this is one point that keeps me coming back to GardenWeb time and again... and not just for IDs. A big 'Thank You' in advance for your assistance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

The first looks like common ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia.
The second is a Gloriosa lily.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gloriosa

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F

Thank you so very, very much. While I have kind of enjoyed that ragweed where it is growing... trying to sleep next to my wife while here sinuses are enraged is nigh impossible... so this will be pulled posthaste and added to the compost bin before it decides to start blooming.

Thank you also for the lily identification. I will do some research on it and figure out the possibility of somehow propagating this one. Though, if it requires cross-pollination to create viable seeds, I might have look elsewhere, since they only seem to have the one plant... but that's something I will have to read up on and find out. Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 5:23PM
More Discussions
What is this ground cover around the Dudleya?
I discovered another Dudleya this morning in the middle...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
What is this ornamental plant?
This is a tree that is growing in my neighbor's home....
frugal_gardening
brilliant yellow flowering shrub in new england?
This was found in New England (MA/RI). It's a deciduous...
maggiepie11
Trying to ID a bromeliad
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Sponsored Products
Imperial Crown Outdoor Wall Art
Grandin Road
Masiero Lighting | Blossomy Wall Sconce
$541.00 | YLighting
Lime Five-Bloom Vase
$14.99 | zulily
Moooi | Delft Blue No. 4
$664.00 | YLighting
Peony Blooms Wool Area Rugs - 1'8" x 2'6"
$69.00 | FRONTGATE