Yellow Sedum ground cover.

ivamae(ONT)June 16, 2011

This is very pretty but is overtaking my lawn where it very definitly is not wanted. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it? Our city does not allow things like Round Up. Also my age and health does not allow me to try to pull it. I did do that the last couple of years when it was just in a small spot but this year it has spread like crazy.

Any info and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mwoods

Your city has a law that prohibits using Roundup? What city is that?

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 8:03PM
lindac(Iowa Z 5/4)

Try a broad leaf weed killer....round up kills the grass too.
But your city won't allow it?? Really??
Linda C

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 12:23AM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

How nice that a city is showing some common sense and consideration for the rest of the world!

But for your question, pulling up yellow sedum (stonecrop) is the recommended solution to control spread. Can you hire some young bodies to do the pulling? You could also pour boiling water over it, carefully use a teakettle or other container with a spout. The water will kill any grass it contacts, but the grass does make a fairly quick comeback.
I've used boiling water to control black medoc (you think the sedum is bad? try a weed that prolifically spreads by both root and seed!) so I can tell you that the steaming water does not seem to injure shrub or tree roots or the soil. A small flamer will do the same thing as boiling water-- you "cook" the leaves and stems, not actually set them on fire. Because the sedum is such a small plant, control is tedious so plan on doing only a square yard of lawn at a time-- take a lot of rest breaks and be assured that it IS possible to succeed in getting rid of it.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 11:04AM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 5 - 15
Any committee is only as good as the most knowledgeable,...
don_socal
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
Quotes 2-20-15
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking...
west_gardener2
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™