Help! Unable to identify (potentially) invasive yard weed and det

ckwallerAugust 9, 2014

Every summer, I use Vigoro Weed-and-Feed on my yard twice every few months and it does a fantastic job of keeping the weeds and dandelions at bay. However, this summer, I noticed a new type of weed taking up root, and it seems to be immune to the Weed-and-Feed.

For reference, I've attached a few images. Does anyone know just what this is and more importantly how I can rid my yard of it? I'd say about 1/5 of my back yard has been taken over by it (as evidenced in one of the photos). Are there any recommended products that can be applied? After having no success with the Vigoro product, I spot-tested Ortho Weed-B-Gon on an area, and it appears to be working-- but only mildly (browning of weeds).

Any help is sincerely appreciated-- I want to do what I can before my yard is destroyed.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
adi_az_gw

Looks like Crabgrass. Look for a product that can get rid of it.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:38PM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

Crab grass or goosegrass are my first two guesses. You can kill crabgrass with specialized weed killers. goosegrass is a different animal(plant). It is immune to almost all of the residential available herbicides.
If its crabgrass, take a look at quinclorac (sp) generics, it works well.
Im sure others will chime in and pinpoint what it is.

Bookmark   August 9, 2014 at 8:39PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The problem with weed n feed and weed b gone is that they target broadleaf weeds. This is a grass type weed.

You should not have to use an herbicide if you are taking good care and have a dense turf. If your turf is thin, then you likely have fescue and will need to reseed/overseed every fall. If you have Kentucky bluegrass and are getting weeds, then you are not taking proper care of it. Here are the basics of lawn care.

1. Water deeply and infrequently. Deeply means one inch all at one time. Measure how long it takes to apply one inch by setting out some cat food or tuna cans. Then always apply for that length of time. Infrequently means once per week if the temps are in the 90s, once every 2 weeks if the temps are in the 80s, and once every 3 weeks if the temps are in the 70s.

2. Mow at or near your mower's highest setting. This works for most grasses except dwarf varieties and bermuda, centipede, and creeping bentgrass.

3. Fertilize 3x per year if you are using chemical fertilizers. Apply once in late spring (Memorial Day), once on Labor Day, and once around Thanksgiving. Be sure to wash the fertilizer down to the soil immediately after applying. Morning dew the following day can kill the grass if you do not get it dissolved the same day you apply. If you are using organic fertilizer you can apply any time you want. Organics do not need to be washed in.

Bookmark   August 10, 2014 at 12:00AM
More Discussions
Need Advice About Sturdy Grass that Stands Up to Active Pets
We have a bare spot (large) in our backyard from our...
frank_il
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Applying Prodiamine with Backpack Sprayer
Hi All- Hoping Morph or another GW expert can help...
BondBull
Logan Labs analysis
I finally got a Logan Labs soil analysis. The numbers...
timtsb
Protecting Grass Seedlings from Frost
I planted grass two weeks ago and have been watering...
mikec
Sponsored Products
Safavieh Handmade Moroccan Cambridge Silver Wool Rug
Overstock.com
Prop Light Round Floor Lamp by Moooi
$3,966.00 | Lumens
Avia 10 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in Espresso Turquoise
$1,899.00 | LexMod
Jar Designs 'Priscilla' Titanium Console
Overstock.com
Algreen GardenView Combo - 34003
$84.99 | Hayneedle