Why did I plant so many peas?

gandle(4 NE)June 22, 2014

Seems like we spend at least two hours every other day picking and shelling peas. Now I aggree that creamed new potatos and peas is hard to beat but I remember a dish of peas with little dumplings that a mother of a friend of mine used to make. It was delicious. Can't find a recipe on line that sounds like that one. She was Czech so it may have been an old family recipe. Have any of you made fresh garden peas with dumplings?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmatx_gw zone 6

You planted so many because you and Leone love them with creamed new potatoes! You are making me hungry. I've never had them with dumplings, but I bet they would be good. Mother always fixed them with new potatoes, too.
Mary

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 11:01PM
don_socal

Dumplings sound good, haven't had them in a long time. I would likely eat more than would make it into the house if I had the job of picking the peas.

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 3:33AM
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

No dumplings, although that sounds good. I remember living in Chicago's west suburbs for a few years and my dad (he referred to himself as Bohemian) took us to the Czech restaurants in Berwyn and Cicero. There was nothing on the menu that might be considered low-fat!

Yesterday, I prepared a summer salad using some of my freshly picked peas, herbs from the garden, brown and wild rice and more. Sometimes, ya gotta just open the door of the fridge and start with what is there.

My problem with peas is that many never make it out of the garden. Picked and in the mouth within one minute!

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 7:55AM
west_gardener

Peas and dumplings rang a bell from my childhood memories in Norway.
Bellow is a link to
czech dumplings. My aunt would cook the dumplings in lightly salted water.
She would make a white gravy, add the fresh peas and cook them for a short time. Place the cooked dumplings on top and serve it family style. Yummy.

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe

Bookmark   June 23, 2014 at 9:34AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™