Gone a month, lawn overgrown: how to fix it?

listener(4)August 30, 2011

I had to leave home for a month this summer, just a few months after seeding the yard around new construction. The housesitter neglected the yard and didn't mow it the entire time.

Now my yard is littered with three-foot-tall, red-stemmed, wheat-like grass that has aggressive stolons and is taking over. I haven't been able to identify this grass to determine if it is a week that needs addressing.

If I had to guess, I would say that it is annual ryegrass, and that I should just let it grow all over the place and reseed with fescue and bluegrass in a month. What should I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jesse

We should be able to help you but I think we may need some more information about you. Here are a few questions that would provide helpful information for us.

Where do you live?
What was the yard seeded with?
Could you post pictures of the weeds and lawn?

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 9:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
listener(4)

I live in Vermont, zone 4. Tomorrow I will take some photos once the sun comes up. I seeded the yard with a mixture, which included about 20% annual ryegrass. The reddish tufts of grass were outgrowing the rest of my lawn but regular mowing seemed to keep them in check. After a month of neglect, however, I'm worried that it is crowding out the finer grass that you can see growing below it.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Some suggested low maintenance grasses
Zone 5B, S.W. Nebraska Hot summers, typically dry....
deviantnic
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™