A long cruise - Palma, Mallorca - part 1

jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)June 21, 2014

We sailed from Barcelona about 11:00 p.m. and arrived in Palma de Mallorca a little before 10:00 a.m. I am so confused about this largest island of Balearic Islands archipelago. Some spell it Mallorca and other places spell it Majorca. The pronunciation would be similar.

It is Spanish and it is a special place. The weather is magnificent and the people are very friendly. As I read a bit about Mallorca, I discovered that many of the rich and famous manage to be there for long periods. Tourism accounts for more than 20 million on a yearly basis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

The population of the metropolitan area is about 500,000. Catalan is the primary language (same as in Barcelona), but many speak Spanish. Between the 10th and 14th centuries, this island was ruled by the Muslims. James I brought Christianity back to Palma at the end of 1229.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:05PM

Castle Belver is one of the largest round castles in Europe. Built in the 14th century for James II, it was used as a prison for many years and now is one of the main tourist attractions in Palma.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:08PM

I donâÂÂt know about the famous, but the rich are definitely a presence here.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:10PM

Another view of Palma from Holland AmericaâÂÂs Maasdam.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:11PM

This photo is the one that will remind me of Palma (I have this one as my desktop). Cathedral of Santa Maria de Palma, was begun under the rule of James I, but was not done until after 1601. This gothic church, like many others in Spain, is built on the foundation of a mosque. The locals refer to it as âÂÂLa SeuâÂÂ; 360+ feet long, 165 feet wide and 130+ feet tall. Wow!

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:12PM

As we tied up, I noticed these cars that were being shuttled to one of the ferries.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:13PM

We arrived after the Costa Favolosa (favolosa is Italian for âÂÂfabulousâÂÂ). It carries 3780 passengers, compared to our 1200 passengers. It entered service in 2011. It is similar in size to the infamous Costa Concordia.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 28 - 15
When you get into a tight place and everything goes...
don_socal
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
How is your "Cold?"
Right now with the sun shinning and not a cloud in...
anneliese32
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
Dancing with the chickens. Video
DD and GS are taking how to make video classes, and...
west_gardener2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™