It's 101 degrees and the seeds are popping.

west_gardenerJune 20, 2011

I've planted some mini pumpkin and mini gourd seeds in my 4'x3' raised garden bed. I planted half of the seeds on June first, and a cold front moved in and only 4 out 15 seeds germinated. I planted the rest of the seeds on June 15th, and we're having a heat wave and not only have the new seeds germinated, but some of the old seeds have also germinated. So, at this time I have 17 seedlings. I'm not known to thin anything out so I think I'll have very busy 4x3 bed.

Any suggestions in how to "tame" the vines, without pulling them out?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

The only thing I can think of is trellises and letting the vines run out in the surrounding area.
I am glad that I found a kindred soul who also can't get herself to kill perfectly good plants.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 6:58AM
meldy_nva(z6b VA)

A-frames, especially if about 6' tall. Large pumpkins can be supported in a hammock made of an old T-shirt with the shirt ends fastened to a crossbeam; small pumpkins do fine in a hammock made from old pantyhose; tiny pumpkins don't need support. Check out yard sales for *cheap* stepladders; they make excellent A-frames and can be folded to put away at the end of the season. Wind the vines up and over the frame, exceptionally long vines may need to be spiralled around the frame (6-foot ladder gives you 6'+6' of vertical space, one spiral around provides about another 4 to 6'). The area under the A-frame does nicely for a shade bed for lettuces, etc. Don't forget to surround the baby pumpkin plants with radishes to deter squash borers.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 10:54AM
west_gardener

Thanks for the good ideas. This is the first summer plantings I've done in the 4x3 box, so everything is an experiment.
anneliese, I had not thought about the trellis idea. I have a couple of small ones sitting around, so I think I'll go with that this summer.
meldy, I like your idea of an a-frame trellis. I found some sites on the web that explained how to make them and I sent the sites to DH as a "hint" for future trellies.

Good grief and sigh "squash borers". Ok, I'll plant some radishes.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 7:39PM
west_gardener

DH got a great idea. He will make an A-Frame trellis out of our old metal trellises. Thanks for your suggestions.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 8:20PM
More Discussions
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 15 - 15
A man's friendships are one of the best measures of...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Where are you mwheel?
Miss your postings.
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 18 - 15
Goodness is about character - integrity, honesty, kindness,...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™