My Gardening Tale of Woe . . .
We have a beautiful butterfly bush--"Black Knight"--just off our deck. Something had been eating the leaves, so DH and I decided to get some insecticide soap to spray on them. We did it a week ago, and it seemed to be helping. The instructions said not to spray more often than every 7 days. Yesterday was a week and the day was good- cloudy with no breeze. The bush is already 6' tall, filled with beautiful purple/black blooms. Since DH is unsteady on uneven ground, he sprayed the front side from the walkway and I did the back side. Boy, did I do a good job! I sprayed those leaves top and bottom to make sure I hit all the bugs which might have been hiding.
After lunch, I took Maggie (cat) out for a few minutes. I noticed the butterfly bush looked rather peaked. The sun was breaking thru the clouds, and I thought maybe it was too hot for the leaves with the insecticide soap spray on them. When I looked more closely, I saw that the bush was is great distress. To make this long story shorter--we had used weed killer! Same type of plastic bottle, almost same color. Neither DH nor I read the name. We immediately began to hose it down, but we're pretty sure the damage had already been done. Needless to say, that poor bush will be removed, shortly.
We also learned that we need to store things like week killer far away from other garden stuff. We learned the hard way, but I'm pretty sure we did learn! :>(