I'm growing Shallots for the first time...

west_gardenerJune 11, 2011

And I should say that I don't know what I'm doing, except to say that they are growing and I've tasted a couple and they are very good.

I bought a six pack and planted each bunch in a separate space. They are growing uneven and some of the shallots seem to crawl out of the soil and sit on top. Is that "normal"?

I've posted a couple of pics of the shallots on my page.

BTW, I'm using a free page that allows uploading photos, I'm not getting paid for anything.

I bought a six pack of "Bunching Onions" today, a first for me. According to the info on the net, they are asian scallions and they are pernnials. One lady on the net said that hers is growing after nine years. It's fun to experiment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of Shallots

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calliope(6)

Your shallots look fine West gardener. They are a 'regular' in my veggie garden, along with onions and leeks because they are such wonderful winter keepers and pretty much stay edible from harvest in fall to planting the next spring.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 6:24AM
west_gardener

That's reasuring that they look fine. Although I've read about and seen photos of shallots on the net, it is difficult to figure out what sequence they are in at any given time. When the green started falling over, I thought oh no, they are sick. It is a normal thing. When they started popping up from the soil, I thought: "what now"?.
Lol.

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 1:12PM
posieh(3)

I've never grown them but friends have. That gives me something to add to my "to do" list. I did plant potatoes this year for the first time in years. That package of seed potatoes just hopped off the shelf into my shopping cart!

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 3:36PM
lilod(NoCal/8)

My first is an artichoke. I grew one once a long time ago in Southern California, the chokes were small and wsent to bloom, they are quite beautiful, I I think chokes toeat or pretty boom, can't lose

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 9:19AM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 3 - 15
Late afternoon on the West Coast ends with the sky...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
Sooty says: it fits
They do find the darnest places to take a nap, on my...
lilosophie
Happy Birthday, Don!
Have a great Day, a wonderful year. Wishing you improved...
lilosophie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™