quotes 6 - 12 - 14

don_socalJune 11, 2014

If you can keep your wits about you while all others are losing theirs, and blaming you. The world will be yours and everything in it, what's more, you'll be a man, my son.
Rudyard Kipling

Early on, I was so impressed with Charles Dickens. I grew up in the South, in a little village in Arkansas, and the whites in my town were really mean, and rude. Dickens, I could tell, wouldn't be a man who would curse me out and talk to me rudely.
Maya Angelou

It is of no consequence of what parents a man is born, as long as he be a man of merit.
Horace

My father always taught by telling stories about his experiences. His lessons were about morality and art and what insects and birds and human beings had in common. He told me what it meant to be a man and to be a Black man. He taught me about love and responsibility, about beauty, and how to make gumbo.
Walter Mosley

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance.
Aesop

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

Good ones, thanks (cat on my lap)

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 9:36AM
rob333

No man is an Iland, intire of it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine; if a Clod bee washed away by the Sea, Europe is the lesse, as well as if a Promontorie were, as well as if a Mannor of thy friends or of thine owne were; any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde; And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls for thee.

-John Donne

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:47AM
west_gardener

Great quotes, Don.
Reminds me of my grand father, he taught me the rules of life, as he saw them. But he also taught me how to whittle wood.
Brought to mind by the Walter Mosley quote.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 2 - 19 - 15
In the depth of winter I finally learned that there...
don_socal
If it isn't one thing...
Seems everyone has a story of weather and related problems,...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 17 - 15
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™