Quotes 7/28 - 2012

lilosophieJuly 28, 2012

Each day, awakening, are we asked to paint the sky blue? Need we coax the sun to rise or flowers to bloom? Need we teach birds to sing, or children to laugh, or lovers to kiss? No, though we think the world imperfect, it surrounds us each day with its perfections. We are asked only to appreciate them, and to show appreciation by living in peaceful harmony amidst them. The Creator does not ask that we create a perfect world; He asks that we celebrate it. ~Robert Brault,

We don't need to increase our goods nearly as much as we need to scale down our wants. Not wanting something is as good as possessing it. ~Donald Horban

Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. ~William Morris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mawheel

I'm going to print the William Morris quote and paste it in strategic places around my house. If I really apply this philosophy, I'll have lots of extra space in a short time. :>)

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 4:14PM
anneliese_32(6)

The trouble with the Morris quote is that all that extra space will be filled up again.
There are all those books which need a new home and the Ansel Adams prints which I did not get because the bookshelves are against the wall and.....
Thanks Lilo, I enjoyed all your quotes for this week.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 6:21PM
gabriell_gw

Wish I could live by the Morris quote.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 10:40PM
lilosophie

I really like the Morris Quote and endeavor to live up to it, trouble is: stuff creeps up faster than you can divest of it and stuff hides in nooks and crannies, because you never look there, or you think "I keep it for someone who wants it" and no one ever wants it or I forget it's there.
Right now I do a major clean-out of video tapes among other things, and I accumulated a big stash of "garden rags" wash them and put them back, decided I don't need all those rags, so they shall be used and then "out they go:
Simplicity is hard!

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:15AM
anneliese_32(6)

Military Life had it's advantages. You moved every couple of years, housing space was limited, ditto the amount you could move, especially if you had to go overseas. Per force you weeded out frequently. Then you sit in the same place and stuff sprouts like crabgrass.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 7:57AM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 21 - 15
What is a television apparatus to man, who has only...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 16 - 15
True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 30 - 15
The hardest thing to find in life is balance - especially...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 27 - 15
We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come...
don_socal
Happy St. Patrick's Day
HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY! II'm not wearing green and...
mawheel
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™