Dwarf Tall Fescue & Dallisgrass - Please help

danell(7)September 27, 2010

I had a landscaper put in Dwarf Tall Fescue sod last year. It is now infested with what the Grange Co-op tells me is Dallis grass. They said to pull it and/or spray with Killz-All (aka Roundup) and re-seed. I sprayed just the back yard and quickly realized I would have to kill the whole lawn, 1/4-1/2 of back yard is now dead; Killz-All did a good job of killing fesuce but only a moderate job of killing Dallis grass. I have not touched the front yet and need to be careful what I use on lawn for sake of young trees.

Questions: How do I find a professional and what should I expect him/her to do for me? What kind of cost may I expect? What would happed if I did nothing and just let the lawn become a climax lawn? In the interim any suggestions for what I should do for back or front lawn until I get a pro on board?

NOTE: I live in zone 7 with cobbly clay and summer temps in the 90s or triple digits - if that helps any. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
danell(7)

I thought I should add that I live in an area with a number of open fields. Yet some of my neighbors have nice looking lawns that do not appear to be infested - perhaps they planted a different grass? Others have weed patches, my next door neighbor being one; however, he did allow me to spray Roundup and put down Cassaron in his side yard where he parks his car but his back yard is still a mess. Still others have problems with sod web worm, cinch bugs, other. Thank goodness that was something I was able to control.

I cannot afford to renovate my lawn every year or so and I know it is just about too late to reseed this year, so I'm counting/hoping someone here will give me some good advice. Looking forward to your replies. Cheers.

Bookmark   September 27, 2010 at 2:39AM
More Discussions
Seeding after burning off the weeds & old stuff.
We burned the brushy stuff and old dried weeds around...
annaceil333
how to take care my new sod lawn?
I moved into my new house in north Texas this Feb....
leooel14
Convert lawn full of old dog feces to normal lawn
Hello, I would love some advice on trying to get a...
jillian242424
Overseeding KBG with a Different Type of Seed?
We live in the High Desert area of southern California....
kendog2
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Sponsored Products
Bronze Floor Lamp: Crystal Leaf 69-3/4 in. Torchiere Floor Lamp with Side Light
Home Depot
Phoebe King Bed - IVORY
$1,529.00 | Horchow
White Medium Tray
$19.99 | zulily
Stammer Giclee 7 1/2" Wide Brushed Steel Mini Pendant
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Schonbek Quantum Collection 4" Wide Crystal Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus