buffalo/couch problem

danrtsSeptember 18, 2013

hi, I keep finding these bud like things growing out of my buffalo/couch lawn. Does anyone know what these are and how to eradicate them?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

When those dry out, do they become stickers?

Sticker type plants take advantage of untended soil. Your buffalo grass is probably relatively thin, which allows seed to fall down between the plants. And, since it is buffalo, you probably do not fertilize it, and never water it. Those are the conditions that the stickery plants seem to like. I have a bunch in my front area. I have St Augustine grass around the house but the front 1/4 acre is weeds. I'm encouraging the St Aug to move out into the weedy area, but it takes time to cover that much space. Out front, there, I have a LOT of sticker grass.

For you I would suggest getting some hybrid buffalo grass that grows more densely than what you have now. There is one here in the states called Tech Turf by the Turffalo company. It is expensive, but makes an amazingly dense turf. Here is a picture...

You can see how it is trying to spread across the concrete. The green dots are slow release fertilizer. I don't know why they fertilized it, but they did. That lawn is at a university fraternity house. School had let out a week earlier, so the grass was being neglected. It was about 4-5 inches high and ready to be mowed.

The best way to get rid of grassy weeds in grass is tough love. Spot spray with RoundUp, which will also kill the surrounding grass. Then either reseed or let the old grass spread back to fill the dead spot.

This post was edited by dchall_san_antonio on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:53

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Need help with grass type for southern CA
My lawn went bad last summer...bare spots, brown, etc....
mschug
Type of Grass Question
Good morning all! First post on this site. I am trying...
Bee Rek
Swampy muddy mess!
Ive finally hit that point in life where im able to...
Nickd503
how to take care my new sod lawn?
I moved into my new house in north Texas this Feb....
leooel14
Electric push mower vs Gas mower self propelled
I recently fired my lawn service and decided to do...
tuber1974
Sponsored Products
'Milena' Floral Embroidered Jewel Embellished 18x18-inch Throw Pillows (Set of 2
Overstock.com
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Paragon Series 30 in. x 71 in. Framed
Home Depot
Aiden Coffee Table
Cost Plus World Market
Henri De Rivel Pro Buffalo Dressage Flocked Saddle - 2017-R04S17
Hayneedle
CozyClouds by DownLinens Geometric Shapes Satin Border Blanket
Overstock.com
New York Giants 3D Football Throw Pillow
$18.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™