buffalo/couch problem

danrtsSeptember 18, 2013

hi, I keep finding these bud like things growing out of my buffalo/couch lawn. Does anyone know what these are and how to eradicate them?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

When those dry out, do they become stickers?

Sticker type plants take advantage of untended soil. Your buffalo grass is probably relatively thin, which allows seed to fall down between the plants. And, since it is buffalo, you probably do not fertilize it, and never water it. Those are the conditions that the stickery plants seem to like. I have a bunch in my front area. I have St Augustine grass around the house but the front 1/4 acre is weeds. I'm encouraging the St Aug to move out into the weedy area, but it takes time to cover that much space. Out front, there, I have a LOT of sticker grass.

For you I would suggest getting some hybrid buffalo grass that grows more densely than what you have now. There is one here in the states called Tech Turf by the Turffalo company. It is expensive, but makes an amazingly dense turf. Here is a picture...

You can see how it is trying to spread across the concrete. The green dots are slow release fertilizer. I don't know why they fertilized it, but they did. That lawn is at a university fraternity house. School had let out a week earlier, so the grass was being neglected. It was about 4-5 inches high and ready to be mowed.

The best way to get rid of grassy weeds in grass is tough love. Spot spray with RoundUp, which will also kill the surrounding grass. Then either reseed or let the old grass spread back to fill the dead spot.

This post was edited by dchall_san_antonio on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 11:53

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 11:46AM
More Discussions
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™