Tale of a koi found on a rock

albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)June 20, 2010

Spouse has a rock ledge sticking out about nine inches above the water level. She goes out and found what appears to be a dead koi on this rock ledge. The fish was only about four inches, length less than half the distance to the ledge, and she wonders how it got there. She calls me to come look at this confusing situation. We muse over it for a bit and I pick it up. It feels stiff.

Having grown up on a remote farm and having worked in a research lab, out of curiosity I decide to do a necropsy. I see no evidence that it has been handled by some rare critter. I start to push tip of some sharp scissors into the belly of the fish and I feel a reflex. I hold it under water and a gill moves a bit.

So we put it in a container of pond water and two hours later it is swimming around normally. Another two hours and she releases it back into the pond. It appears to be OK twelve hours later.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annedickinson

That is amazing!! Glad it survived not only being out of water but getting stuck in the belly with scissors!!

Bookmark   June 20, 2010 at 11:57AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Succumb to a fungus, actually I euthanized it because of a fungus, on the side that had been exposed to the sun. Tough little male with an enlarged gall bladder.

Bookmark   June 25, 2010 at 12:45PM
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

Albert, Fish that jump out of the water often die later, even after being revived, from massive gram negative bacterial infections. Such bacteria are common in the dirt.

Bookmark   June 26, 2010 at 1:35AM
goodkarma_(5b)

Awww... that is sad and I am so sorry that happened. I have a Koi that spent a few weeks in the dead of winter at the top of the water with the top of her body exposed to 10 degree temps.

In the spring she had a huge wound that resembled a burn. The tissue sloughed off, and the fungus appeared. It turned green with algae. Eventually she made a full recovery which is amazing. I think sometimes that when a fish is very sick or injured that providing a supportive environment of clean water, and good nutrition may work. The percentages are slim but I would just like to point out that it is possible. I am not saying that Albert was wrong at all. It takes courage to end the suffering of a wounded fish and I am sure with his knowledge that he did what needed to be done. But just wanted to share my story too.

Regards,
Lisa

Bookmark   July 8, 2010 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Identification of watercress vs upland cress
I have had watercress in my pond for many years and...
larryl
Making Mechanical Prefilter for submersible pump
My medium sized pond is currently using the Savio watermaster...
supahenzi
Lotus seeds
Question about Lotus seeds. Has anyone had good luck...
goffer48
ewaterlily.com going OOB $8 per waterlily
A good chance to buy some nice hardy waterlilies. ...
nomadh
How to Make THE Floating Island
Floating Islands are very expspensive. The size I wanted...
goodkarma_
Sponsored Products
Hide Color Sample - Honey - Zag Cowhide Rugs
$5.00 | HORNE
Rock Star Ceiling Flush Mount
Lightology
Seashell Mini Glass Votives
Classic Hostess
Schonbek La Scala Collection 28" Wide Crystal Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Laura Ashley Classic 14.5 in. Butter Yellow Empire Shade SFE814
$25.50 | Home Depot