Charming Rose

vogue_x(9)May 20, 2014

I came across this lovely rose growing alongside a highway next to an abandoned pasture. I often see 'Seven Sisters' and other multifloras growing and blooming up in the trees along roads but never this. Any Ideas? I think it may be a Wichuriana hybrid due to the sprawling/rambling habit. It seems to stay rather close to the ground, sending up 2' canes which end up falling under their weight and sprouting roots.The flowers fade to pure white a day or two after blooming. I took some cuttings which should be rooted by now. Is it a named cultivar? Any comments are welcome. I posted this in the rose identification forum with no luck..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vogue_x(9)

The flowers fade to white a day or two after opening

Bookmark   May 20, 2014 at 8:19PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

you dont have a scale... nor flower size.. but i might suggest 'the fairy' .. at the link ...

i think there is a rather active rose forum.. there are so many named plants.. you need the collectors to have a chance to sort them out.. rather than botanists ... but you never know... sometimes even a hosta/conifer guy might get lucky ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 7:08AM
vogue_x(9)

The flowers were about an inch in diameter, the entire plant was spead about ten ft. in each direction. I am currently leaning towards the cultivar 'Clotilde Soupert' due to the sheer number of petals and how closely knit they are, also the color is spot on. I can't find any referenced on the size of blooms from Clotilde Soupert... The search continues.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 10:49AM
vogue_x(9)

'The Fairy' seems to have quite a bit of variation, but the link to the picture seems to be it. Thank you for sending me in the right direction. :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 3:22PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Different petal structure for that one and pinker coloring. Try the GW rose identification forum. Note the instructions in the FAQ section there.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 2:25AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Is the top picture a single cluster of blooms or are there several in a vase?

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 9:53AM
vogue_x(9)

The photo is of maybe 2 or 3 individual clusters of flowers.

This post was edited by vogue_x on Thu, May 22, 14 at 13:33

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 1:30PM
vogue_x(9)

bboy, I tried the rose identification forum with no luck. I figure I might as well try here :)

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 1:34PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Does Cecile Brunner look anything like it?

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 5:05PM
vogue_x(9)

Similar, but the petals of this rose seem more cabbage like. I'm terrible at this description thing..

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 10:59PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Did you look at the Name That Rose! directions in the FAQ section? The pictures you put here really aren't very good, and you haven't mentioned most of the pertinent details that the FAQ points out.

Not that going into it that much guarantees it will ring a bell with someone, but it can't hurt.

Bookmark   May 23, 2014 at 12:49AM
More Discussions
Please identify this plant.
Got this today from an exhibition today, the guy told...
invisigoth
Can someone ID this "weed"?/ plant?
I have this 'ground cover' growing prolifically outside...
sizwizz
Need ID for flowers
Shot these pictures during last autumn in Hokkaido....
coralred
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™