fruit tree or not?

sandragw(6)May 8, 2014

I need help identify if this is a fruit tree or not. It is about 4-5 years old and never flowers. Those spikes on branches are very sharp in fall; but then by spring, the leaves emerge from the spike end. It seems like a fast grower. The branches can get really long, also lots of new branches wants to grow upward and I have to really trim it down often. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandragw(6)

You can see the trunk is very straight and the leaves starting to emerge.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 8:25PM
JoppaRich(7b)

It looks quite a bit like a plum, and while I've never seen it (new to plums), I've heard they can even set fruit from thorns.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 9:50PM
sandragw(6)

Thank you! It does seems like a plum tree. It won't set fruit until 5-6 years later after planting so I will wait couple more years and see how this one turns out.

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 11:33PM
linaria_gw

The shiny foliage is very unusual for a plum. More like a pear. Did you plant it or could it be a volunteer? Most fruit tree cultivars dont have spikes IME

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 12:02AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

to be clear.. there are ornamental versions of both pear and plumb.. that may flower.. but never fruit ... or have inedible fruit ...

and i never heard of anything fruiting from a thorn.. to my eye.. they are two different types of tissue ...

you need one to the botanical gurus to chime in.. so i am bumping this back up the page ... we may have to wait until the leaves fully form ... or a flower appears ...

ken

ps: maybe the flamingo did it??? .. i dont know what.. but he is looking awful suspicious.. lol .;..

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 10:10AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Doesn't look at all plummy to me. Come back with some fully formed leaves and we can tell you if it's a pear.

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 12:58PM
sandragw(6)

This is a volunteer from another part of the garden. The tree trunk looked unusual so I kept it. I used to have a plum tree in my old house and the leaves were purplish red, plus the branches were not as stiff. It could well be just a random wild tree. I will take more pictures in a couple weeks and upload again. Thanks everyone!

Bookmark   May 9, 2014 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Assorted Foliage Houseplant needs ID
What is this plant? It is only labeled as assorted...
rachelthepoet
Mini "weed" growing in a pot ID
Pot was outdoors all summer. Growing in a pot indoors...
true_blue
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
Silver and Fuzzy
Bought this as an annual last year, but it's living...
sandyslopes z5 northern UT
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™