A long cruise - Sorrento, Italy - part 2

jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)July 7, 2014

When arriving in Sorrento from the ship (at anchor in the bay), you will arrive at the base of the cliffs. It is a long way up.

This is a view from the small pier of some of the hotels and the cliffs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

This hotel is prominent. Excelsior Vittoria has a wonderful view of the bay. I did some checking online. With 92 rooms, it is 180 years old! I noticed that Diane Schur will be preforming in the lounge on 7/18!

Just to see how much, I looked for rates for November (definitely off-season). A deluxe room with sea view and double bed - $425/night (2 night minimum); a suite with sea view is $660/night. I converted their quotes from Euro to US dollar. Breakfast is included!

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:43PM

There were buses available (small fee) to ride to the top. I am cheap and figured that I needed the exercise. Somewhere in this photo is the path/road to the top.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:45PM

In case you missed it, once I got to the top (only 2 breaks), I took this picture of what I had climbed.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:47PM

Holland America's Maasdam at anchor in the bay at Sorrento, Italy. You can almost see the tenders as they shuttle passengers and crew to shore.
Also, there is a road on land in the middle of the picture. It is one of the ways to get to Naples, which is in the far background.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:50PM

This is the altar at Our Lady of Sorrows church in Sorrento.

This shows the 18th century wooden statue of the Lady of Sorrows. The church was completed in 1739.

It was very quiet inside. One felt almost obligated to whisper.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:57PM

This diorama was just to the left of the main altar. It was difficult to get a good picture because of lighting and the reflection off the glass.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 2:59PM

The first photo in this series shows hotels and cliffs as I was looking up. This is the view from the top looking down.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:02PM

After looking down, I noticed these folks just sitting and enjoying the view. I was a beautiful day.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:04PM

I walked down at a different spot. I did not have to share with buses and cars. I took this picture looking up as I descended.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:07PM

Back on the ship, this was the view of Sorrento through the window in our cabin. Very nice city, I would return.

On to our next port of call; Messina, Sicily. We'll be there at 8:00 a.m. and meet our tour guide at 8:15!

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 3:10PM
mawheel

Jim, your pictures are fabulous, and your commentary is interesting. I'm very impressed that you walked up--and back down--that VERY STEEP 'hill'. your leg muscles got a good workout!

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 6:12PM
anneliese_32(6)

You saw all the places we missed, since that part of Italy is definitely not bike friendly. Love your pictures and am still making my way through the last couple of weeks.

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
Quotes 2 - 25 - 15
It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and...
don_socal
Please excuse my tardiness
Power went out Thurday late evening, got back after...
anneliese32
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™