seeding

wmmalletteSeptember 3, 2013

I live in the north part of Mississippi, not too far south of Memphis, TN. I have about 700 feet of gravel driveway. Either side has about 2 - 3 feet of grass, then a fence then pasture land. There are small drainage ditches on the pasture side of the fences on both sides. I want to widen the flat grass area inside the fence where my driveway is, so there will be a wider path to cut with my mower. Plus it will look better. Coming up the driveway is very narrow.

My question is: if I do that and use a dozer to move the dirt and cut the ditches out wider into the pasture, is it too late in the season to plant grass on the dirt? If not, is there a type of grass that would do better?

-Mickey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

You're in the southern part of the transition zone. You can grow any grass there, but I believe the southern grasses would do better with your humidity. If you want to seed bermuda, then you are too late. If you want to use either bermuda sod or St Augustine sod, you can still do that. If you want to use a northern grass like fescue or Kentucky bluegrass, then you can likely still get away with that in your area.

That's a small area for a dozer. You could use a box blade on a tractor and be done in a morning. It's a lot more maneuverable than a dozer.

What kinds of grasses are growing in the pasture?

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 8:03PM
wmmallette

I am ignorant about most grasses, so I am not sure of the type growing in the pastures. I have no preference on these strips.

I have a tractor, but do not have a box blade with cutting teeth to be able to do it myself.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 12:50PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Where were you going to get a dozer? Maybe someone else around you has a box blade and knows how to use it.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:23PM
wmmallette

There is a person about a mile from me that would charge me $500 to come and move enough dirt to cut the ditches out wider.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
What order do I restore my lawn?
I live in the CA Bay Area and have a fescue lawn. ...
Brent Villalobos
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™