grass terminology ?

adidas(6/7)May 29, 2014

I am trying to ID a grass but can't get a good pic so I was wondering if someone could tell me what you call the horizontal indentations that are present on some grasses?


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bubbleoffplumb(z6 NY)

maybe this will help ; )

Here is a link that might be useful:

    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you mean the joints in the blades those are called nodes.

    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 9:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)(7b)

Grasses are very tough to photograph, because they tend to be wispy and the camera often isn't smart enough to determine where you need to focus. For the inflorescence, just rest it in your hand, and take a photo of that in macro mode. For the entire plant, try setting something solid to the side, at the same distance from the lens. Press the shutter button half way and focus on the solid object, then shift your aim to the plant and finish pressing the shutter button. I often take a walking stick along, and focus shots on that. Also, the focus is usually best if you're shooting about 90 degrees to the light.

    Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 10:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thank-you everyone so much for your help! I realise I should have inserted the word blade! These indentations are on the blade...they look as if someone pushed something into the leaf and left an indentation...they are regularly spaced and all leaves of those same grasses have them so I know it's not a singular anomaly. I shall try and get a close up of the dimples.

Jekeesl: Thank-you for this advice....but my pics are all taken on an extremely good but very limited cell ph camera. I've saved your advice though....maybe Santa will think of me at Christmas :)

    Bookmark   May 30, 2014 at 6:29AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Mini "weed" growing in a pot ID
Pot was outdoors all summer. Growing in a pot indoors...
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
pink anthurium
I am looking for the botanical name for my pink anthurium....
linda_leaf z10fla
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™