Grass for my sisters house in Arkansas

botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)September 13, 2013

She is in Zone 7b.

It seems that I can plant the cold season grasses and the warm season grasses here.

My question, for the zone, what is the best practice for planing here on clay soil. The hay farmers grow fescue, bahia, bermudia, and zoysia all mixed together. Can empire zoysia survive here? Is there a better varity of zoysia. I focus on the zoysia as they require much less fertilizer than bermuda and fescue and my sister will never fertilize her lawn.

Thanks for your time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you can help her get it started, then she could grow some of the wheatgrasses that will grow in AR. These are full sun, prairie type grasses which look great (see below) when sowed fairly dense and mowed once a month. They require very little water beyond rain and little to no fertilizer. There are many varieties of wheatgrass and some will not thrive in AR.

Here is a picture of bpgreen's lawn in Salt Lake City. It is a mix of wheatgrasses, blue grama, and strawberry clover.

He doesn't start watering until about June and then only waters about 4 times throughout the season. Mowing is monthly to keep the seed stalks down.

Bookmark   September 13, 2013 at 2:09PM
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

Thanks. I will pass that to her as an option. A neighbor just cut hay and it has the seed stalks in it. It is a mix of fescue, bahia, and bermuda. We were thinking of putting an inch layer of this hay down and just let it self germinate next spring. If we were to mix wheat grass seed in this, would you put the seed ontop of the hay or under it?
She has no care of what type of grass she has, she just wants a lawn so the dogs do not track too much dust and mud into the house.

Bookmark   September 15, 2013 at 2:40PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Underneath if it isn't too much trouble.

Bookmark   September 16, 2013 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™