aeration and overseeding after scott winterguard

crazyjuttSeptember 12, 2010

hi,

because i did not water my lawn this year, my lawn has bald spots. there is lots of weed.

i used scotts winterguard 3 weeks ago. i wanted to do aeration and over seeding this year but i was told by lawn company that i can not do over seeding after applying winterguard.

what are my alternates ? should i wait for next year and then seed lawn in the beginning of spring ? why can not i overseed now ?

i like to see nice lawn next year and i am hopeless now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madeonmoon

You are not supposed to seed after applying weed control. Wintergaurd (based on what I read) is mostly fertilizer. So I think it's ok to seed now (if the temp where you are does not dip below 50 degress F).

Here is what Scotts recommends: http://www.scotts.com/smg/learn/infoHowToArticle.jsp?detailId=14900060

Here is a snippet from that page:

Feeding in the Fall

Wait a minute. Isn't fall when lawns start to shut down? Why fertilize then? Fall conditions are great for lawns. Grass roots start to store nutrients the grass will need when it wakes up again in the spring. So you want to help those roots grow by fertilizing. Your best bet is to feed once in early fall (if you are overseeding, your starter fertilizer counts) and once more about 6 to 8 weeks later, around Thanksgiving. Scotts® WinterGuard® Lawn Fertilizer is formulated to deliver the nutrients grass needs to get through the winter and come up strong the following year.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 2:00PM
tiemco

What is in Scott's Winterguard besides fertilizer? If it contains a preemergent then yes, seeding now will be a waste of time and money and you will have to wait till spring. If it's just fertilizer then seeding now is fine.

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 4:07PM
dmoore66(6 NorthWest NJ)

You can seed
Winterguard is just a fall fertilizer.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 7:40AM
grassboro

I was looking at fertilizer on the Lowes web site I saw the following.

1- Scotts 15000 Sq. Ft. Turf Builder® WinterGuard with Plus 2 Weed Control

2- Scotts 5000 Sq. Ft. Turf Builder® WinterGuard Fall Fertilizer

I think one flavor of "Winterguard" contains preemergents (#1).
The other "Winterguard" is just fertilizer (#2).

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 8:36AM
crazyjutt

thanks all
i used Scotts 15000 Sq. Ft. Turf Builder® WinterGuard with Plus 2 Weed Control.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 1:22PM
bpgreen(5UT)

If you used the one with Weed Control, you should check the package to see how long you need to wait before seeding. It's likely that you'll need to wait before seeding.

Bookmark   September 14, 2010 at 3:28PM
jrhorsesense

HI

I am a representative for Scotts-Miracle Gro and wanted to clarify some information about seeding and the use of TurfBuilder Winterguard and Turf Builder Winterguard with Plus 2 weed control.
Since you used the Turf Builder Winterguard with Plus 2 weed Control , you will not be able to seed for 4 weeks which will then be too late to seed. The weed control in this product is a post emergent not a pre emergent but the rule still applies not to use a weed control when seeding.
In the future please stick with a regular fertilizer like the Turf Builder Winterguard or even the Turf Builder Starter Fertilizer which would be better as it has the needed phosphorous for starting out new seedlings.
What state are you in? If further South may still be able to seed in 4 weeks if you live in the Northeast to midwest it will be too late.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:13AM
More Discussions
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
I want to remove deep roots . . . once and for all!
Hello, I've tried shoveling out some deep roots, but...
figsinhawaii
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™