A long cruise - Palermo, Sicily - part 6

jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)July 19, 2014

As we were working our way to our next stop in Palermo, I saw this. A recycling bin for vegetable oil! I was impressed by the number of recycle bins in Spain and Italy. Different colors for each kind of item. Furthermore, they were being used! This was the one and only vegetable oil bin that I saw.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

When I took this picture, I had no idea why. Or what we were getting into.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:33PM

This is what we saw when we turned the corner. A market! It was almost overwhelming. This fish monger was the first vendor we came upon. You might notice the items on the wall, in Italian of course.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:34PM

You want this one? Yesâ¦that is the one I want.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:35PM

All of the fish vendors were together, as were the red meat vendors and poultry. This man was just waiting for the next customer. My guess is that he has been doing this for many years.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:36PM

Then there are the produce vendors. I might have mentioned it previously, but with an assortment like this, one need not have a big refrigerator. My guess is that they are open here Monday through Saturday.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:37PM

This is amazing! Look at the size of these heads. Even with several people in the household, there will be enough for at least two meals.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:38PM

Time for lunch! Finally! Our guide to us to the small resort town of Mondello. Although it is a part of Palermo, it is far enough away from the city center to seem as though you have gone a far distance. Originally a fishing village, it became a popular resort. We were moving along and I was not able to obtain decent photographs of the Art Nouveau buildings, including a huge bathhouse. I believe that this is Monte Gallo, but that rock in the background reminds people of a dog. Floppy ears and snout to the left. Use your imagination a bit.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:40PM

We were allowed 45 minutes for lunch. We ate a little café somewhere on this street, most of the patrons were not tourists, then gelato on the way back to the van. One way on this street and the next one over is one way the opposite direction. There was a small permanent amusement park. During the summer months this is the place to be.

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:41PM

Is this a better view of the dog? Once the town was 'discovered' the marsh that was here was eliminated and white sand brought in. Most of the beaches are to the right of the Monte Gallo.

Some of these photos look good on my monitor, but not quite so good on this forum. If you want, you can come to my house and look at all 2864 of them!

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 8:46PM
anneliese_32(6)

Looks like a great market, would not mind shopping there and most likely would come home with more than I could eat.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 6:44AM
gmatx zone 6

I agree with anneliese about the market. Their produce is astounding. They must have great soil and weather to grow cauliflower such as those shown.

Mary

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 3:15PM

Here is another produce stand (different location). The sun was not working with me, but I shot the photo anyway. I don't believe that all were locally grown.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 5:11PM
west_gardener

Jim, the "dog" looks just fine to me.
Love the markets.

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 6:35PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 1 - 15
Drag your thoughts away from your troubles... by the...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 26 - 15
God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought,...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 2 - 15
I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™