Appendectomy at Almost 82??? YES!!

mawheelJuly 12, 2012

Late Monday afternoon, DH said he was having severe abdominal pain. We waited a couple of hours to see if it would go away. It didn't, so we went to the ER where he was diagnosed with an enlarged, inflamed appendix. By this time, it was Midnight, so he was admitted and surgery scheduled for 8 o'clock on Tuesday morning. I got home around two a.m., fell into bed for four hours, and was back at the hospital by seven, just before he was "taken away".

The surgeon did laparascopic (sp.?) surgery, b/c he said it was less invasive, would heal faster, and shouldn't be as painful as one larger incision. We learned that most times, now, appendectomies are "in and out" operations, but the surgeon decided to have him stay another night--probably b/c of his age. Anyway, I brought him home on Wed., and he's doing well. The surgeon also said that over the last few years, he's done several surgeries of this type--once on a person 100 years old! No matter one's age, if it needs to come out--it does! At least,this is one thing we won't have to worry about in the future!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_socal

So many new things in medicine, glad it was a successful procedure.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 12:45AM
anneliese_32(6)

All the best for a fast recovery of your DH. I did not think that this was something we might still have to look forward to at our age, oh well.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 8:42AM
lilosophie

So happy it turned out well and best wishes to your DH for a fast recovery. The new surgical techniques are a marvel!
As I still have my appendix, I find it re-assuring that it's not a major operation any more, though I hope I don't need the new sort either.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:25AM
gmatx zone 6

Lilo - I agree with you about not needing (wanting) the surgery! My mother was 65 (or there about) when she had her appendix out. Her doctor told her that "appendicitis was a YOUNG persons disease"! So, maybe that will make all of us who might happen to have appendicitis at what we consider a mature age really "young".......LOL

Glad your DH is recovering nicely.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 1:43PM
west_gardener

Glad to see that everything seems to go ok. Yes, it's wonderful how far laparascopic (sp.?) surgery has come.
When we went to the open house of our new state of the art hospital and visited the surgery center, the head surgeon explained that they could remove a prostate with laparascopic surgery in 45 minutes and that most patients could go home the same day.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 7:54PM
kathyjane(z6VA)

mwheel----glad it was a successful visit to the hospital!
Hope he is mending well and up to his old tricks again!
Life can be so good...
KJ

(--hope YOU'RE doing OK!)

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Quotes 3 - 4 - 15
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 6 - 15
Living is no laughing matter: you must live with great...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 5 - 15
Any committee is only as good as the most knowledgeable,...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 24 - 15
Most visions of extraterrestrial life are actually...
don_socal
A sad morning
Martha, of the green eggs, has passed on to the big...
lilosophie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™