From the Farm

gardenbug(Canada zone 5)June 17, 2011

Today was a cloudy day and I managed to do quite a bit of weeding. (Don't worry, there's plenty more!)

First I cleaned up Reed's garden:

Then I weeded by the vegetable garden to pre pare for spreading mulch there. I can see the "Yellow & Blue Garden" from where I worked.

A white Baptisia grows in the vegetable garden and will open soon.

In the hellebore garden I also grow Martagon lilies. They are starting to bloom now in pink and in white.

And then the clematis are beginning to bloom.

Versailles(?)

Gillian Blades

Blue integrifolia

Arabella about to begin...

Fascination

More to come another day.

'bug

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

You've been very productive today :-) It's all looking great. Martagon lilies are so beautiful. I've tried them several times with no luck at all - what's the secret?

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 3:45PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

I don't know any secret! They grow like crazy here with the hellebores in quite shady and humid soil next to lilacs. They multiply a lot and the squirrels seem to transport them to other areas too. Hostas and pulmonaria and so on grow there too. The moisture this year has everything growing well. (weeds too)

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 5:18PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

I think maybe I've been trying them in too sunny and/or not moist enough. I'll try them with hostas perhaps. What time of year do you plant them? I have a vague recollection of reading somewhere that they're planted at a different time than regular lilies...?

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 8:25PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

I sent Woody some pages to read on growing martagons. I think she's tempted to try again.

Today I finished mulching the surrounding area of the vegetable garden...at last! So many bags of mulch.... I also weeded in the area where Clematis Joe Zary grows by a rain barrel. It looks so much better.

Tomorrow it seems will be the last day of sunshine for the next week. I'll try to get lots done, even though it is father's day.

A friend will be visiting for the week so I'll need to think of activities not affected by rain...

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 10:59PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Very beautiful Bug. I've often thought of growing those Martagon lilies but have never made the time to get and plant them.
Deanne

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 11:07PM
michelle_zone4

Things are looking quite lovely. Your clematis are always a joy to see.

Bookmark   June 18, 2011 at 11:29PM
More Discussions
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
PSA: Please set up messaging feature in your profile!
Not sure if you guys are aware you are able to do this....
mxk3
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™