question about Facebook

agnespuffinJuly 11, 2012

A relative has a "friend" that's nice enough, so he doesn't want to hurt her feelings. And No, there's nothing romantic there...it's another relative.In fact, until this started, he didn't know anything about her.

BUT... she sends him tons and tons of stuff about her church, the Bible, religion, etc. His Facebook account is just toooooo full of this. He's fed up with getting it.

So, he wants to know if there's a way to block her stuff without her knowing about it. I told him that I didn't think so, that he should be honest, blah,blah, blah.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilosophie

To the right of her post is a little x - click on that and a menu pops up, one of the options is "unsubscribe", click that and you don't get anything from her, but she's still on the friend's list, no hard feelings.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 9:41PM
lilosophie

One still can keep in touch, the person may comment on some of your pictures and such, so it's not a total cut-off.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 9:43PM
agnespuffin

I shall pass this info along. I can understand his frustration about this. You don't really want to be rude, but there sometimes you just really reach a limit!!

LOL

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 11:11PM
lilosophie

I have some dear family member on the unsubscribe - it's not nice to just "unfriend" them. This way they are commenting on some of my posts and I know their activities, but I don't get the "editorials" works fine

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 9:25AM
agnespuffin

I passed the info along. He was VERY happy to get it.

So, you can count this as your good deed for today.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 9:42AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I think it's even more detailed than that. You can select for each person what kind of update you are shown. Then you can go to your preferences and choose not to see people's stories about games they played and/or block aps that you don't use that keep showing up with news stories. Tell him to poke around in the preferences/settings as well as "editing" that particular person.

Unfortunately, there's no way to block some of the stuff, like "I'm going to bed now." And "I just ate some toast that didn't agree with me." Ugh! I hate these kinds of posts.

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 10:34AM
eahamel(9a)

I've had to unsubscribe from several people who apparently have nothing to do but find stuff to post to Facebook. I hate it when there are 10 or 15 posts per hour from them, and have unsubscribed from all of them. I still have them as friends, and look at their pages when I want to see what they are posting.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 1:09PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Yes, exactly! It does give you the tools to waste as little time on that stuff as possible. Some of these people have never heard of the little boy who cried wolf (as far as getting people's attention) and seem to mistake it for a diary. I think of it and use it more as a scrapbook of high-lights.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 4:29PM
More Discussions
Quotes 2 - 23 - 15
Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. Albert...
don_socal
Happy Birthday, Don!
Have a great Day, a wonderful year. Wishing you improved...
lilosophie
Happy birthday Robin and Pam
My partner for b'day along with Pam. Three threes...
don_socal
Finally some Snow in Georgia
We have snow. The ground is covered. The streets are...
janis_b
Quotes 3 - 4 - 15
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long...
don_socal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™