Overseeded too soon??

mikeinmo(Z6 MO)September 1, 2011

I live in Mid MO where this past week has been horrible heat, had 104 yesterday. My lawn company aerated and overseeded two weeks ago. I have not seen much new growth at all and I have been watering. Is this week long high heat and humidity going to kill the seeds? Is there a chance it will germinate when this spell is over?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jesse

Couple of problems. First is when you water a lot when it's hot, you are asking for fungus. However, you have to water frequently for the seeds to sprout. Seeds need water, oxygen, and warmth to sprout. I'd be surprised if they don't sprout due to the heat. If the ground dries out, that may do it, though.

I would keep waiting to see what happens. If you lawn was relatively thick already you may not notice the new seedlings anyways. It also depends on the type of grass. If they planted KBG, you are just now getting to the point where the seeds typically start to sprout. If it's Fescue, that was about a week ago. Even then, all seeds don't sprout at once. It takes a while for all of the seeds that will sprout to come up.

Don't worry about it for now. Keep watering and watch for fungus.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...
Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody...
Rich Possert
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™