Quote 8/30

lilod(NoCal/8)August 30, 2011

We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements...profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.

Carl Sagan

The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, is by accident. This is where we come in, we are computer professionals. We cause accidents.

Nathaniel Borenstein

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anneliese_32(6)

Sooner or later somebody is going to press the wrong button.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 9:35AM
agnespuffin

Rolling back time a little.....When the first atomic bomb drop was being planned, there was some concern that it would start a chain reaction that wouldn't stop. That is, it would just keep spliting atoms until the world was destroyed.

We know it didn't happen that way, but there was that concern that we didn't know enough to handle "the un-knowable."

We have a technological tiger by it's technological tail. What's going to happen?

I think one example of trouble because of lack of knowledge is the overuse of antibiotics and the later development of resistant bacteria. It's Bad News for the future health of our people.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 12:43PM
mwoods

You have to try and figure out how to separate people from their drugs.

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 3:19PM
agnespuffin

mwoods, you are right about that!! Back in the olden days, you know, covered wagons, no TV or such, you had a sore throat, you just tolerated it, took things easy and it eventually got better.

Now, you rush to the doctor for a shot. Do we need to educate people on what they can do on their own? Or do we insist that Doctors say "no?" We have just gotten soooo used to things being easy.

I even remember things like after WWII when it was difficult to get your own phone and then when you did, it was most likely a four-party line (OMG) Now, it's the unusual person that backs out of a parking place without a cell phone fastened to one ear. THIS is an improvement, Right?

Bookmark   August 30, 2011 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
For poetry fans
I investigate A.Word.A.Day, on wordsmith.org, every...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 3 - 16 - 15
True love is like ghosts, which everyone talks about...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 22 - 15
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 15 - 15
Try to make at least one person happy every day. If...
don_socal
Quotes 3 - 17 - 15
Green is the prime color of the world, and that from...
don_socal
Sponsored Products
Napa East Wine Barrel Lettered Staves - Carpe Vinum - 1023-CARPE
$69.90 | Hayneedle
Hanging Path Lamp by Coe Studios
$590.00 | Lumens
Vondom | Chrismy RGB Led with DMX Transmitter
YLiving.com
At Home Framed Quote
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Brushed Steel and Frosted Glass Light Tree Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus