Name this plant please.

jimrichMay 16, 2014

I would like to know the name of this plant.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Schefflera actinophylla.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 11:31PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

If this plant has been inside all winter, putting it outside in the direct sun can burn the leaves. It looks like it's been in insufficient light for a while, and can handle direct sun, but must be acclimated to avoid burning all of the leaves. This wouldn't kill your plant, but it would be ugly until new leaves grew in.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 9:15AM
jimrich

Thank you purpleinopp! That's exactly what happened. I placed it outside because of the warm weather. The sunlight seemed to have stressed it. I was trying to find out what it is, so that I can find a way to recover it. It has been brought back indoors. I am still not sure if it is a Schefflera actinophylla (umbrella plant). There are only 3-4 leaves per stem and the main trunk reminds me of bamboo.It seem to grow well when the soil was dry. If I could get more confirmations that it is Schefflera actinophylla, then I'll accept it.

Bookmark   May 17, 2014 at 11:01PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

try the houseplant forum ... for other opinions.. and care ...

its sunburnt ... and.. i suspect.. too big for its pot ... and maybe the potting media hasnt been changed in ages... and most likely... can be severely cut back... repotted ... and will rejuvenate ...

and odds are.. the pieces cut off can be rooted ...

all that info in the houseplant forum ...

ken

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 9:07AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It looks like Shefflera to me....grown under very poor conditions. The stem is skinny, leaves have dropped, leaflets have jumped ship. The plant looks starved or perhaps it's growing in very poor or old potting medium.

It is barely recognizable, in this condition, as a shefflera actinophylla....but that's what it is. :-(

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 9:23AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I thought it was Schefflera too, Salt's ID confirmed that when I scrolled down, and Saltcedar is hardly EVER wrong.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 10:40AM
jimrich

I would like to give a huge thanks to all that have responded. I'm new here, so I didn't know that I had gotten the correct answer from the plant Doctor. After further inspection of the plant, saltcedar was right all along. Again I'd like to thank you all for the identification and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
brilliant yellow flowering shrub in new england?
This was found in New England (MA/RI). It's a deciduous...
maggiepie11
What is this vine and how do I get rid of it?
This vine takes over my container garden every year....
acdaminski
Plant ID needed
Any ideas what type of plant this is? It sprung up...
heflinbaker
Sponsored Products
Kartell | Light-Air Table Lamp
$299.00 | YLighting
Classic Cocoa 84 to 120 Inch Pumpkin Curtain Rod
$29.95 | Bellacor
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Designers Choice Collection Avalon 52 in. Oil Brushed Bronz
Home Depot
Charmeuse Grand Pillow
$215.00 | FRONTGATE
Thermostatic Twin Shower Faucet Concealed Mixer Valve Plate & Handles
Hudson Reed
Elk Lighting Cosmo Bench - 6070973
$238.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™