murky pond water

debbie94August 4, 2009

I have had my pond for 1 month now and it started out clear. It has gradually became worse to the point of not being able to see the fish. It is a 500 gallon pond with 4 goldfish and 3 snails. It has morning sun up until 1:00 and then shaded by a tree. Last week I placed 6 big bunches of hornwort, 3 bunches of hyacinth, and a lettuce plant. We have been treating it once a week with "Jungle" Clear-Zyme Concentrate. What do I do now??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryo_nh(z5 SouthernNH)

You practice patience... having a pond is a wonderful way to become a more patient person...
Your pond is in the process of finding its balance, and that takes a few months. Meanwhile, tell us, do you have some kind of filtration? That always helps a lot.

:) Mary

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 7:49AM
maryo_nh(z5 SouthernNH)

Btw, Debbie, this thread belongs in the discussions sections, you'll get way more answers there on pond questions. You might re-write your post there. This section is for conversations on other topics than our ponds.
:) Mary

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 7:52AM
debbie94

Thanks so much Mary. I am very new at this and appreciate all of your help. Yes I do have a fountain that has a box that I have been rinsing off the filters but leaving the bio-balls alone in the water in the box. It also has a 3 ft. waterfall. In the future I will try to find the discussion section and chat their.
Thanks again, Debbie

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 9:36PM
More Discussions
Hardiest Nelumbo?
Any idea if there is one variety of Asian Nelumbo that's...
fireweed22
My ponds with no liners
I dug these ponds with a rented bulldozer 30 years...
mikebotann
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
Do crows eat frogs?
I've had my pond for 15 years, and never suspected...
robin321
Growing store bought lotus?
I found lotus roots in the grocery store tonight. Maybe...
fireweed22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™