Plants Non-Toxic to Pets

kaye820(z9 Houston)August 22, 2013

Hello my friends. I'm a retired senior living in a tiny apartment with no access to a garden, and I'm starved for something green inside. However, I have a cat that seems impervious to botanical toxins, in that he has tortured and killed several african violets as well as 3 pots of sanseveria that I thought indestructable. Any ideas on plants I can bring inside for MY psychological benefit that might be safe for nibbling by my annoyingly curious kitty? Thanks to all for your kind suggestions.
Kaye

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjmercer

Hi Kaye!

Sounds like you could benefit equally from something that prevents your cat from accessing your plants. I had a kitty for 12 years who absolutely could NOT stop herself from digging, eating, tearing up, knocking over my plants.

I've attached a link to a beautiful little device that solved most of my problems.

As for selecting non-toxic plants and flowers? You might try the Pets forum. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/pets/

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Tabletop Greenhouse

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 11:26AM
kaye820(z9 Houston)

Holy cow, that is amazing and is something I never thought of. What a great idea, and I thank you a bunch for bringing the plant box to my attention. And the best part is there is an Ikea store about 5 miles away, and I'm on my way there.

("So, my sweet Leo, you may look but you may not touch.") He may be unhappy at first, but I have soooo many trinkets awaiting feline destruction.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 6:11PM
west_gardener

Great idea, Karen..We had a kitty that would go fishing in our aquarium , be it a 50 gallon tank or a gold fish bowl, kitty would find a way to get to the fish. I wish I had known about the double barrier green house at that time

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:43PM
More Discussions
Just went to the grocery store
and as we left a woman followed us out by less than...
don_socal
Quotes 2-20-15
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking...
west_gardener2
Quotes 2 - 22 - 15
Man is a universe within himself. Bob Marley Prejudice...
don_socal
Butterfly Conservatory in Key West
Lots of photo opportunities at this place. I don't...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™