Weed or Flower?

farmboy1(5)June 29, 2013

So I've been watching this plant grow and grow, but it doesn't flower. Is it a weed or eventually a worthwhile flower? Comments appreciated!

vince

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saltcedar(Sunset zn 30/usda 8b)

Solidago perhaps?

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 12:39AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

weed ... its that time of year.. they are everywhere ...

do not let them go to seed

ken

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 8:14AM
esh_ga

Don't listen to ken. Solidago is an important wildlife plant - it's foliage feeds insects that become food for baby birds. I loved watching the wrens pluck green caterpillars off it last year to feed their babies.

Late summer blooms offer nectar at a time when it is really needed and then tiny seeds feed songbirds all winter. And the sweep of yellow flowers is gorgeous in a big stand.

This is likely the more aggressive one (there are non-aggressive ones) in which case it will spread by runners (and you can see that if you pull it up).

If you have room for it, it is good to leave it. If you have a small or tightly controlled garden (like ken) then it may be too aggressive for you.

Does not cause allergies as the heavy pollen is transported by insects, not the wind.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 8:19AM
surya55_gw

Esh GA- I just love the way you described this plant and provided info on it; rarely seen. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 10:00AM
bob_71(z7 MD)

I, too, agree with esh ga!

Goldenrod (Solidago sp.) is one of the most important late season nectar/pollen plants. It is used by a multitude of pollinators to the point that it is difficult to shoot a photo without capturing some live creature.

The hayfever causing plant is Ragweed (Ambrosia sp,)...Goldenrod is no more likely to cause an allergic reaction than are Petunias or Roses.

Thanks esh!

Bob

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 2:46PM
farmboy1(5)

Thanks for the great and informative responses, especially esh! While this may be crowding out a small section of flowers and growing in other beds, since they're so beneficial, I'm going to make a special section in one of my beds to put the plants in rather than cut them down.

vince

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 6:12PM
esh_ga

Yay! Thanks, vince.

Great picture bob, two bugs in one.

Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:24PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

The roots are so thick that I let it grow along the edges of my garden which prevents rodents from tunneling in. I pull out enough outer stems so it stays where I want it.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 9:35AM
More Discussions
what sort of mushroom?
I promise I have no intention of trying to ingest this...
toad_ca
Help ID the 4 Plants in this flower bed
I am trying to ID the plants in this bed. I'm fairly...
btalarczyk
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
Please ID this plant
I think it came in an indoor pot of plants. It is...
elaineal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™