Quote, 08/11/11

anneliese_32(6)August 11, 2011

Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can learn from books.

John Lubbock

For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.

Martin Luther

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lilod(NoCal/8)

Another set of good ones.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 9:26AM
west_gardener

There are several "tree farms" around here. They grow "christmas" trees and the farmers know how to propegate a sustainable crop.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 7:38PM
anneliese_32(6)

When I still drove, I used to visit once or twice a year a local tree farm. Not at Christmas, but during spring and summer. It is amazing what a great variety of wildlife and flowers exists there. Birds of all kinds, including quail and pheasants; rabbits, deer, foxes and butterflies you did not see anymore elsewhere. The grass got mowed twice a year, once early in the spring and then again in fall. Trees where trimmed once in a while, but overall the place was left alone and nobody got disturbed, hunting was allowed for deer only when the population got to large, threatened the trees and due to lack of predators got out of hand, something which happens here all the time.

Bookmark   August 11, 2011 at 8:11PM
coconut_nj

Our area has changed from dairy farms, when I was growing up, to tree farms and horse farms. The tree farms, mostly owned by Princeton Nursery far outnumber the horse farms. Quite a few Christmas tree farms too.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 1:49AM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday, Don!
Have a great Day, a wonderful year. Wishing you improved...
lilosophie
Butterfly Conservatory in Key West
Lots of photo opportunities at this place. I don't...
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
Quotes 2 - 21 - 15
Life is a lot like jazz... it's best when you improvise. George...
don_socal
More rain.
We need it, looks like the next three or four days...
don_socal
Quotes 2 - 27 - 15
Grief can be the garden of compassion. If you keep...
don_socal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™