Can I freeze tomatillos?

sheepco(MN z4)September 14, 2007

Once again the 1st hard frost is upon me, TONIGHT, and again I'm unprepared. AND, the folks are out on a seemingly endless road trip...actually, the tranny died in the motor home somewhere just west of the Columbia River and they've spent the last 10 days in Ellensburg, WA...but that's another story...which I find amusing...they don't...

So I just got done picking both of our gardens - 219 tomatoes (yes, I counted them!), I left the really green ones, if it doesn't freeze we'll still have another 75 at least. 37 sweet red and yellow peppers in various shades of green, red and yellow, 8 enormous pumpkins that about killed me, enough cherry tomatoes to feed 40 (and that's with me eating every 4th one off the vine), and a sack full of tomatillos. God can take care of the leftovers.

Then I covered as many pots and gardens as I had bedding for...all this so I can still enjoy my flowers next week when it's 70 again (and 'cause now it's dark and I can't haul in the dwarf papyrus, Mexican Bluebells, etc. My WH just started to bloom last week! :( I am NOT driving 15 miles to Mom and Dad's to cover and uncover their flower beds...stay home if you want to save your impatiens!

Ah, sorry...to my question. Has anyone frozen tomatillos? Either whole or cut up? I'm sure they could be canned, but quite frankly I'm all canned out after the salsa, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. I imagine if diced they might get mushy, but if frozen whole like a tomato one could make salsa or cook with them don't ya' think?

Anyone tried it?

Thanks, Sarah

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
comettose(7)

Sarah,

I found this on a serach (right here in GW) - snippet:

Freezing tomatillos clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by lonmower 8Oregon (My Page) on Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 10:25

Raisemybeds (et.al.)
On freezing...

Naturally remove husk and wash
I put the quantity I use in a batch of salsa per plastic freezer bag.
Remove the air from freezer bag (i use the "holding bag under water and releasing air without the water getting inside" method)
THAT'S IT!!!!

When you thaw the fruit...there will be juice in the bag...put that in your salsa also. Naturally fresh is best, but this is a easy way to have great homegrown salso the year round.

Happy Dipping
Link to the whole thread below. It is second to the end the bit about freezing that is posted above.

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Link - Growing Tomatillos

Bookmark   September 15, 2007 at 12:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sheepco(MN z4)

Thanks CT, just what I was looking for! (Duh, why don't I think to search myself?)

Bookmark   September 16, 2007 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Snake is eating my frog--Help!!
I looked out my second floor window and saw some movement...
sara_in_philly
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
Herron attack
Just want to vent. The day before Christmas I went...
Mike56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™