Please name plant and advise on care, propagation

GardenNovice6420June 9, 2014

I found this little guy outside in the pot featured in the photo. Soil was dried out and there were several yellow and crusty leaves which I have removed. I kept these shown here because I thought maybe I could save it and make new plants from them. I'm a serious novice at gardening and don't even know what plant this is. The stems are all wilted over so I propped it up against the wall and over a nearby framed photo. Please help.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JasonFromWNY(5b)

Kind of looks like a Philodendron vine or maybe a golden Pothos. Both are fairly common indoor plants. A healthy watering and a sunny window will probably have in back in shape shortly.

Once the leaves start looking a little healthier you could try re-rooting them. Cut the vines a few inches below the leaves and stick the cut ends into a glass of water. In a week or so the vines will grow new roots that you can re-pot. This way you get a little less of the long bare vine look.

When healthy, they act like most any vine would, they look for something to cling to and climb up. If there's a table leg next to them, they'll climb it. In some cases I've actually seen the vines cling to a bare wall with small roots they send out of the side. They don't grow terribly fast though, and you can train them to climb most anything just by placing a vine where you want it to go.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:10AM
gregorson

Philodendron Scandens, probably.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 6:18AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Epipremnum (Pothos.) Many discussions on house plant forum.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 9:08AM
GardenNovice6420

Thank you, JasonFromWNY, gregorson and purpleinopp.

I will follow your suggestion, JasonFromWNY.

Nydia

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Flowering Vine/plant Identification
Have had this plant for years, seldom blooms, but it...
ehgraham
Silk flower NOID #2
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™